This is the Message Centre for summerbayexile

Social conundrum

Post 1

summerbayexile

I don't know if anyone's reading my posts, but I wondered if any of my hootoo friends could give me some advice. smiley - erm I'm fed up with just seeing people through the medium of a computer screen, but for best part of 20 years I've been living on a tight budget like most people. This has led to me not taking up invitations to people's weddings, birthdays etc and now no one invites me to anything, bar a 70th birthday of my best friend's mum a couple of years back! smiley - tongueout Anyway, I have a birthday coming up and it's a landmark and part of me wants to have a party but I really don't think anyone will take me seriously if I say that. Do I tell people why I haven't seen them for years or keep quiet about it? Do I issue invitations and run the risk of being confirmed as a social pariah or just not celebrate my birthday as has been the case for the last two decades or so? Any advice or opinions would be great as I don't want to make a complete fool of myself on Facebook! smiley - ok

Social conundrum

Post 2

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Hi Summerbay

As I read your post I think you are uncomfortable with the thought and expense of buying presents for the privilege of attending the events.

I might ask them to share your celebration, and list what you will provide; snacks, soft drinks and some sort of entertainment - even if it is only recorded music.

You might include a note about how you regret having missed their company over the years, if you like.

I would include a section stating that you do not intend to accept any gifts, other than the company of your friends. Anyone who feels compelled to give something might make a donation to their own favorite charity.

Just a few thoughts I thought you might find usefulsmiley - 2cents

smiley - goodluck

F smiley - dolphin S

Social conundrum

Post 3

summerbayexile

Cheers, Florida Sailor. smiley - cheers That makes a lot of sense. I suppose it's easier to see things logically from outside, which is why I did my 'beta testing' on here. I'll let you know how it goes. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for summerbayexile

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more