A Conversation for Legends of British Wrestling

Mick McManus

Post 1

a visitor to planet earth

What about Mick Mcanus? He was one of the biggest baddies on tv wrestling for years. Also Steve Logan another baddie. Without these people where would our heroes come from.

Mick McManus

Post 2

SIR REBEL_WOLF Knight Of Dirty Deeds

i know he never liked his ears being pulled didnt he tag partner Jackie Pallow ??smiley - doh

Mick McManus

Post 3

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

I was origionally intending to put McManus in there as he is one of the names that most people come up with after Big Daddy, Haystacks & Nagasaki. The simple problem was that when I came to research the entry there wasn't enough stuff out there to allow me to do so.

It seems that there is a Mick McManus-shaped hole out there on the internet just waiting for someone to fill it!

Mick McManus

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I also thought that Les Kellett and Mick McManus would have deserved a mention. They were true giants.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Mick McManus

Post 5

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I believe McManus now makes his living as a motivational speaker, according to a prog on ?C4 a while ago. And yes, I believe this article is incomplete without him. I always thought a Saturday a poor one where neither McManus nor Big Daddy was "fighting."

Ah, the introduction from Dickie Davis, and Kent Walton's salutation "greetings, grapple fans." Remember Daddy's brother Brian, the ref? Remember Brian Glover, the wrestler - to tea folk - to Alien star?

Mick McManus

Post 6

Researcher 220282

Was it 'Mick' who got involved in some attempt to launch an 'American Style format' pro wrestling over here? it was televised for a while ..only for a while thank the spirits.. ..its not the same without the local 'Hells Grannies' lock n loading their smiley - handbag and 'attacking' the 'bad guy' whenever he was thrown out the ring ..and sometimes still in it.

Mick McManus

Post 7

compo

I don't know about trying to get an American style show on the road in this country,but I think Mick refereed for a while after he retired.

Saw him in his final bout against Catweazle (whatever happened to him) at Bedworth Civic Hall.Ended up as a draw - 1 fall each - if my memory serves me well.

Mick McManus

Post 8

Saints 76

Saw Mick McManus on The Wrestling Channel only two weeks ago. He was going round shaking the crowd's hands. He was easy to recognise. This was in between fights for FWA. They are showing 'World of Sport' on odd occasions on 'The Wrestling Channel' If anyone is interested.

Anyone out there tell me what happened to 'Chief Masambula' Johnny Saint, Rikki Starr? Or the many other wrestlers whose names I cannot recall at present

Mick McManus

Post 9

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

If you mean "Honey Boy" Masambula, I think he passed away in the nineties. Tom Billington ("The Dynamite Kid") recounts an amusing annecdote about the time he and another wrestler had to procure a freshly slaughtered goat for the guy as that was what they ate for xmas dinner in his native land. Check out his book "Pure Dynamite" for the full story.

As for most of the wrestlers from that era, most are either deceased or retired and many have terrible injuries that they amassed during their days in the ring. Very few are still involved in the industry to this day. "Adorable" Adrian Street is running a wrestling school in Folrida and Steve Regal is working for the WWE.

Mick McManus

Post 10

supersaints1976

Mick McManus was on TV some years ago. Trying to re-launch wrestling for a cable company, run by the Daily Mirror. The name of it I can't recall for now. It also used to feature the weather with a Norwegian girl. So if you can remember it's name let me know! (Formly Saints76)

Mick McManus

Post 11

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

http://members.fortunecity.com/furnacehot/mcmanus/mcmanus.htm

http://www.montrosefc.co.uk/Links%20park%20Legends/Mick%20McManus.htm

I see Mick McManus was British Welterweight Champion in 1951 and 1957.

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/bios/m/mick-mcmanus.html

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post