This is the Message Centre for Bluebottle

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hiya BB smiley - hug

I have taken A87867012 to sub-edit, please remember to subscribe to this versionsmiley - biro

Query:
>>The Ivor Novello Award was not the only award the series won. It won the Writers Guild Award three years in a row between 1969-1971, the 1971 Best Light Entertainment Production BAFTA and David and Croft and Perry were each awarded an OBE in 1978.<<

David and Croft and Perry = should that be "Croft and Perry"? as I can't work out who "David" is.

smiley - ta

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - senior

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 2

>>Most of the main cast as well as Hodges, the Vicar, Verger, Mrs Pike and Mrs Pike featured.<<

Mrs Pike and Mrs Pike?

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 3

Bluebottle

smiley - dohObviously I was having a bad day that daysmiley - sorry
Yep, it was originally going to be David Croft and Jimmy Perry, so delete the 'David and' and stick to 'Croft & Perry'.
smiley - cdoubleMrs Pike and Mrs Pike was supposed to be 'and Mrs Fox'. What's the second woman's name? Don't tell him, Pike!

<BB<

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 4

smiley - laughOKsmiley - biro no need to apologise! Happy to check with you and I know how easy it is to type something wrongly when your mind is thinking of something else!smiley - doh

In the subheader 'The Deadly Attachment' I was a tad disappointed not to see mention of 'Don't tell him, Pike!' as I thought this was the funniest bit of the entire series. I have added a sentence to the section, see what you think, I think it's useful information (the name of the episode it occurs in, which I didn't know) but as always, it's your entry and I can just as easily remove it.

The platoon are asked to guard the crew of a sunken German U-boat, but all goes wrong when the submarine captain dangles a hand-grenade down Jones' trousers. It contains perhaps the most memorable scene of the entire series - Mainwaring's reaction following his inadvertent revelation of Pike's name 'Don't tell him, Pike!' to the German captain is hilarious. This episode's script was used as the pilot of The Rear Guard.

smiley - tea
Just by the way, did you know there is a Dad's Army museum in Thetford, Norfolk? http://dadsarmythetford.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=9&Itemid=140 is it worth a mention?

GB

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 5

Bluebottle

I must admit I deliberately didn't include the joke, as I didn't want to inadvertently spoil the funniest joke in the series for anyone who hasn't seen that one yet. There's got to be some people out there who haven't! That's a good suggestion about the museum, we could include a section just above the Cast bit:

Experiencing Dad's Army for a Day

If watching old episodes isn't enough, then why not visit either the Dad's Army Museum in Thetford, or the display at the Bressingham Steam Centre, home of the Dad's Army Appreciation Society's Collection?

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 6

smiley - ok

All done subbing, if you'd like to read it through and ok, I will return it to the Edssmiley - cheers

GB

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 7

Bluebottle

I've read through and am happy to give it the thumbs upsmiley - ok
Thanks for your help there! Hopefully the photo I took will be approved soon.smiley - peacesign

<BB<

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 8

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magic

Subbing Dad's Army

Post 9

Bluebottle

smiley - wowYay!smiley - modsmiley - peacesign

<BB<

Subbing Dad's Army - the Characters

Post 10

A87874104 you know the drill smiley - winkeyesmiley - run

Post 11

>>he was considered unfit to join the services due to his corn beef allergy.<<

corn beef = is that supposed to be "corned beef"?

Post 12

Bluebottle

Thanks for taking this on, yes that should indeed be 'corned beef'.smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 13

smiley - birochanged to corned beefsmiley - ok

That's me all done and dusted, if you want to ok my changes I'll return this to the Eds quick smart!

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - zen

Post 14

Bluebottle

Looks good to me!smiley - ta

<BB<

Post 15

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magic