A Conversation for What Can Go Wrong When Firing Military Weapons

Personal experience

Post 1

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I had the distinct pleasure of experiencing the vagueries of the M16A1 while a guest of the U.S. Army at Ft. Benning.

Not only did I have my particular weapon double feed on a regular basis, but when I took it to the Spec 5 armorer to get it repaired, he returned it to me sans the recoil spring guide rod...
Which I did not discover until I was on the firing line.

One of the young gentlemen in the vertical tin whistle near me on the firing line had even more pleasure. His weapon would rock and roll regardless of where he set the selector and releasing the trigger did not stop the fun.

I used to own a pistol version of the Charter Arms AR7 .22 semiautomatic carbine. I only had it for a couple of days because wear in the take-down collar caused the breech end of the barrel to impinge on the bolt. This caused the pistol to fire two or three rounds at a time whenever the trigger was pulled.

I also used to own an Auto Ordnance M1911A1 clone that not only would chew the web of my right hand when I used the Weaver grip, but would also toss casings into my face!
On the whole, I really liked the M1911A1 and found the recoil bearable once I had developed the proper grip and found a good rhythm for breathing and firing. I found the pistol grip design and the recoil much more manageable than that I had had to deal with with a .38 Special S&W revolver. The .45 also lacked the wonderful talent of spitting unburnt propellant and bits of lead chewed off by the forcing cone!

I fully agree with you on the Peacemaker-style magnums. I had a bad experience with a six-inch barrel Ruger Blackhawk once. The grip was not designed to make my life easier.

As for recoil, the worst experience I've had was with a Springfield Armory-made Krag-Jorgensen that some idiot (probably Bannerman's of New York) had cut down to a carbine. While I loved the beauty of the action and the loading mechanism, that .30-40 round was not made for a light weapon. I had to put a towel between the butt and my shoulder. Even then the muzzle blast was prohibitive and instituted a flinch reflex in me. That weapon was traded rather rapidly for a No. 4, Mark I, which I had no complaints about.

Personal experience

Post 2

Who?

Any military round will do that. The Lee Enfield No5 carbine had to be fitted with a flash hider because of the muzzle blast. It's lke the AKSU, a very short barrel version of the AK74, which has not only a flash hider, but an expansion chamber at the muzzle to reduce propellant pressure.

Personal experience

Post 3

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Certain versions of the old CAR-15 had not only a long flash suppressor cum muzzle brake, but a built-in noise supressor!

The FBI used to have enormous amounts of trouble with their 2 inch .357 Smith revolvers. That's why the "double-tap" was supposedly originated, because after the first couple of rounds you were too deaf and blind to shoot anymore!

Personal experience

Post 4

Who?

Talking of noise, I was unfortunate to forget my ear defenders one day. Unfortunate because we were firing the L4A4 (7.62mm Bren)LMG on a 30 metre range in the days when ear defenders were advisable, not compulsary.

After the first 3 round burst, my ears buzzed and rang. I never did hear the other 27. It wasn't my LMG, it was the two about 1 metre either side of me that did the damage!

Personal experience

Post 5

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

My stepfather has had permanent damage in one ear from a rifle range experience in the early fifties. Apparently some idiot fired an M1 Garand right next to his head!

Personal experience

Post 6

Who?

I had many a close encounter with the muzzle of a blank-firing No4 when I was a cadet (14 - 17 years old) and I can tell you it was loud! (particularly in enclosed spaces)

The one that caused the most temporary damage (or was it!) was a M1911A1 to which a friend had fitted target sights. This involved brazing on a new, higher foresight. He tested the attachment with 'hot' reload ammo. Once again I made the mistake of not wearing ear defenders. To make matters worse, the pistol range at Bisley was semi-enclosed. 'Ouch!' or rather 'Pardon? Say that again.'

Personal experience

Post 7

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

smiley - huh

I had a friend with a area in a creek bottom that we used as a range, with homemade backstops.
Once he was using my pistol, the M1911A1, and I stood off about forty yards with an earplug in one ear and the other unprotected except for a hand cupped in reverse.
I wanted to see what an actual pistol shot sounded like compared to the sound effects on TV/Movies.

Real bad mistake. I forgot that that creek bottom area was a natural amphitheater! I had severe temporary loss for days, followed by ringing for a week.
And that, on top of my normal tinnitus!

The next time, I stood back two hundred yards.

Personal experience

Post 8

invisibleknight

I'm not sure if the author of this piece has ever actually fired the L85 (SA 80) but I have, easily over 5000 rounds.
Never had one "shed pieces". Always found it a very robust and well assembled bit of kit.
A boatload easier to fire and aim than the SLR which was too long, too heavy and too difficult to aim. Got smacked in the face by one many times and struggled to cock every one I was every given as the springs were ridiculous to pull back.
I normally had to tape two fingers together when doing weapon training or range firing to be able to cock the weapon.

Personal experience

Post 9

swl

I seem to remember the SLR had a 30 round magazine and it could certainly manage more than 20 rounds per minute. I found it to be a very "natural" weapon to use. Granted, I've only fired around 500 rounds, but I never encountered any real problems.

Personal experience

Post 10

greysuit2

SLR mag - 20 rounds

LMG Mag - 30 rounds.

Fit LMG Mag to SLR - SLR fires 30 rounds

Easy

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more