This is the Message Centre for Smudger879n

Another Work Party.

Post 1

Smudger879n

Well, I'm home again, after another work party on board HMY, having the missed the last two, due to not being able to get some one to care for my late wife, I got to attend this years one.

I'm afraid I had to leave a day early, as my back simply gave out on me, the mind and heart wanted to stay, but the body had enough, and packed up on me.

I really enjoyed it though, and after what I've been through over the past few months, my confidence and spirit have both been totally recharged, and I feel a lot better for it.

The visitors were well pleased to see us back on board again as well, and as usual they enjoyed asking us questions which were all always pleased to answer, they were fantastic, well they always are, after all, that's what brings us back every year, so they can see the old girl just as she used to be in the old days, in all her glory.

It was like going home again, well it was our home for all those years that we were proud to serve on her. God willing, I will be back there for next years work party.

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Another Work Party.

Post 2

bobstafford

smiley - magic she is a beautiful ship a real pleasure to see. And well done you deserved the break glad your back you can tell us more about it smiley - cheers perhaps an entry smiley - smiley

Another Work Party.

Post 3

Smudger879n

Cheers Bob, I'm not really good enough to write an entry, but I could add a bit more to it and make it a Snippet, but then again I haven't done one of them for ages either?

It's weird really, as I stopped writing the Snippets as I needed all my time to take care of my late wife, but now, I have all the time in the world, but every time I sit in front of this screen, my mind just goes blank?

It's the same with going out, for seven years, it was like being under house arrest, as I couldn't leave my wife alone in the house, because I couldn't get anyone to sit with her.
So the car hardly got used, but now when I can get out, I've got nowhere to go?

I would like to write about the story of my late wife's family, and what they did just before and after her passing, but no one would believe it,.......yes it is that bad a story.smiley - sadface

Smudger.smiley - cheers

Another Work Party.

Post 4

bobstafford

You have to break the out of the rut before it gets to deep. Yes I know the question is how? any ideas?

Another Work Party.

Post 5

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Hi Smuggersmiley - ok

I would love to read a 'Snippet' about your time on the Royal Yacht when she was active. What was it like steaming to different ports (I know the Royal family did not spend long times at sea, and met the ship at various ports, unless I'm wrong)smiley - shrug

How much time was spent idle in port, what did you do?

What was it like to sail for weeks from port to port, and what procedures were used when the Queen or her family came aboard. As a crew member how did your daily duties change (if at all)?

Can you give us a glimpse of who the other guest might have been?

smiley - popcorn

I know that you are terribly hurt by the actions of 'Mark II's' family, I wish I could make that better, but I can'tsmiley - sorry It might be better to just let it go, I know that's not easy

I think they are jealous of you, because she liked you better, or maybe they think they can get some reward by claiming an un-earned inheritance.

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Another Work Party.

Post 6

bobstafford

Well said FS I second that smiley - cheers

Another Work Party.

Post 7

Smudger879n

Cheers for your posts folks, yes I really do try to put it all behind me, but it hurt me so bad, that it's really hard to do that.

I've thinking about writing a Snippet of my time on HMY, for a long time now, in fact it's only when the visitors stop to ask me a question, while I'm working away on there work parties, that the memories come back to me.

I have to think about what to write, as there are some things that I wouldn't be allowed to write, ( nor would I) but it seems OK as an idea, as some "ex Yotties" do attend functions, and give talks about their time on board, so I can't see a problem there.

I do have the time to write these days, God knows, I've got plenty of that, it's the motivation that I seem to lack.

So, your idea does give me the incentive to do just that.smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Another Work Party.

Post 8

bobstafford

If you need any moral support you know where to comesmiley - ok

Another Work Party.

Post 9

Smudger879n

Cheers Bob, It might be a while in writing it, as I always like to get it down in one go, as it never works if I try and go back to it later?

So I wait until the mood is just right, and the memories just flow back, so I can get it one go.smiley - winkeye

My sister is coming over from Holland in June, and they are going to pack all my late wife's clothes etc for me, as I've never managed to do it.

It will be the first time I've seen my sister in 23 years, we fell out when I got divorced from my first wife, and had no contact for all that time.

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Another Work Party.

Post 10

bobstafford

Hope its a happy reunion for you both smiley - ok

Another Work Party.

Post 11

Smudger879n

Well, I've just my name down for "next years work party" yes, the list went up on the site yesterday, and it's fully booked already, shows how popular it is.smiley - ok

It's in May again, which is a lot better then March, as that was when we had the first one, and boy was it cold! That was a few years ago now.

It's just before my birthday again, as this birthday was a disaster, just the one card and that was from my sister.

I'm still thinking about doing a Snippet about this years one, but every time I get on this I/Pad I seem to get side tracked,........but I will do it sometime
smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Smudger879n

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more