This is the Message Centre for Recumbentman

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 21

Gnomon - time to move on

Over this side of the Atlantic, we have long notes which are represented by an empty oval. These are called semibreves. These are divided into:

2 minims - an empty oval with a stalk
4 crotchets - a filled oval with a stalk
8 quavers - a crotchet with a tail on the stalk
16 semiquavers - a crotchet with two tails on the stalk
32 demisemiquavers - a crotchet with three tails on the stalk
64 hemidemisemiquavers - a crotchet with four tails on the stalk

You can go the other way, with two semibreves combining into a very long note called a breve, which is represented by a sort of rectangle, but these are rare.

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 22

Baron Grim

I haven't used musical terms since I was in choir as a Freshman in High School, about 14 or 15 years old.

I only remember terms like whole notes, half notes, quarter, eighth and sixteenth notes. I can't say that we were never introduced to these other terms, but I don't recall them.

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 23

Recumbentman

The Americans follow the Germans in this: halbe Noten.

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 24

Recumbentman

The curious thing is that the longest note mentioned by Gnomon above is the breve. Breve means short.

In the middle ages the Brevis was a third or half a Longa, which was a third or half a Maxima. Half or a third of a Brevis was a Semibrevis. In the fourteenth century a new shorter semibreve was added, and called a Minima.

The crotchet when it came along was first called a semiminima. The nomenclature is confused still, with the French calling the quaver (eighth note, half a crotchet) "croche", not without reason, as it has a squiggle on the stem that looks like a crochet hook. The French word for the English crotchet (quarter note) is noire. In 16th and 17th century English music you still find things that look like crotchets (black notes with stems) but they are a third of a minim rather than a half, and are called "black minims".

smiley - canofworms

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 25

Recumbentman

Or perhaps a third of a semibreve. That makes more sense.

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 26

Gnomon - time to move on

So did the "noire" look the same as the "black minim"?

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 27

Recumbentman

It did, and it does.

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 28

You can call me TC

The French word "crochet" means simply "hook".

Benty's Quiz No. 1

Post 29

Recumbentman

Yes, and therefore the crochet hook is a hook hook.

Hooky MacHookface, you might say.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Recumbentman

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more