A Conversation for Semi-planet Quaoar

11 Planets and counting

Post 1

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

I think that the definition of a planet should be changed to include objects with gravitationally dominated shapes, even if they are smaller than pluto. It is rbitrary to set a size limit at pluto,it should be something more meaningfull, such as being large enough to be crushed into a sphere (OK, oblate spheroid)
THis qould make Ceres, Quaoar, and maybe other KBO's like Ixion and Varuna Planets.

11 Planets and counting

Post 2

Joe Otten

Nope. I say demote Pluto. After all, it is in the wrong place and it is smaller than many moons.

11 Planets and counting

Post 3

The Singing Badger

Yeah, but Mercury is smaller than some moons, and no-one thinks of demoting it.

11 Planets and counting

Post 4

Inverted Solipsist

I say--the definition of planet is arbitrary anyway. Therefor, I will pick the definition that gives the closest number to 20.

11 Planets and counting

Post 5

The Singing Badger

Why not 42?

11 Planets and counting

Post 6

Inverted Solipsist

Well, I weant as high a number as possible while still remembering the names, and I don't think I can remember the names and characteristics of 42 objects.

11 Planets and counting

Post 7

The Singing Badger

But this would discriminate against people with poor memories. It might be safer to label only Jupiter a planet, and label the rest 'Assorted Junk.'

11 Planets and counting

Post 8

DarkMaterials111

I can imagine an extra-terrestrial being looking at this and saying, "These Earthlings are so moronic that they can't agree on the number of planets they have in their solar system!"

Inverted Solipsist ,I agree with your 20-planet limit of memory. I can just about remember the first 20 elements, and that's with a song.

11 Planets and counting

Post 9

shagbark

one reason we write things down or put them in H2g2 articles is so we won't have to remember them, just remember where to find the info.

11 Planets and counting

Post 10

shagbark

LATE BREAKING NEWS~ the same team that found Quaoar has found another object (2004 DW) in an orbit similar to Pluto. Size unkonown (estimated between the size of Quaoar and Pluto). The discoverers are trying hard not to offend anyone in authority so they are delaying the official naming.

11 Planets and counting

Post 11

Brother Andúril - Guardian

I really think that to say that Quaoar will never be a planet is a major assumption. What with the discovery of Sedna, who knows what will happen?

11 Planets and counting

Post 12

shagbark

Just in they have discovered a planet larger than Pluto
labeled 2003 UB313

11 Planets and counting

Post 13

shagbark

So let me test my memory here - the planets are
Mercury, Venus, Earth,Mars, Jupitar, Saturn,Uranus, Neptune, Pluto,
Xena, Quaoar, Sedna, Kirk and Picard. Is that right?

11 Planets and counting

Post 14

Inverted Solipsist

And Rupert. Which is really called Persephone.

11 Planets and counting

Post 15

Joe Otten

2003UB313 - I thought the money was on Proserpine

And 2003EL61 aka Santa which has a moon called Rudolph.

11 Planets and counting

Post 16

Inverted Solipsist

I think they said there was already an asteroid somewhere named Proserpine, so the name can't be used. But Rupert/Prosephone is an H2G2 reference, so I doubt she was serious.

11 Planets and counting

Post 17

Inverted Solipsist

Should probably explain that my post about Rupert/Prosephone a few hours ago was a friend who apparently didn't bother to sign out of my name before posting. Which is why I refered to her in the third person.

8 Planets and holding

Post 18

shagbark

all these newbies are now being relegated to the group "Dwarf Planet"
as of August 2006

Key: Complain about this post