Íslendingabók- The Book of Icelanders

2 Conversations

Iceland, being a rather small nation of literally inclined people, enjoys a rather unique position in the world.
The inhabitants can not only tell you when the land was first settled, they can tell you by whom and also how that first settler is related to them1. It might involve copious use of the word 'great', but eventually, they will get there.

A millennium after the first settlers arrived, Icelanders still know where in Norway they came from originally2; from what village in Ireland one of the ancestresses was pillaged away; and why on earth one of the great-great-greats was half-french.

Historically, Icelanders have always been very interested in geneology, finding some sport in tracing their heritage back to people like Queen Aud in Ireland, King Harald the Fair-Hair and Grettir Ásmundsson, who wrestled a ghost. For the most part, this has been a verbal history, written down sporadically as some educated person took an interest and took it upon themselves to make sure Icelanders didn´t lose their history.

Unlike the UK and other places in Europe and Asia, there are few relics in Iceland, few monuments to the great old ones, Gods, armies, kings and queens - the Icelanders' history is their great treasure. This knowledge of self has given Icelanders a rather unique perspective and a certain haughtiness that is difficult to imitate; Icelanders know they come from great families of old, from kings and queens and that their lineage is as great as any royal families can boast3.

So how do they know this? Does every child in Iceland spend their days working to memorise entire lineages? The fact is that since these are highly modern times and Icelanders are quick to catch novel ideas and make them their own, all this information is available online. One man, realising that there was a market for a computer program that kept all this information and could be updated at will, with little computer programming gadgets, took his chance. He started a company, named it after himself4 and went into business.

By using National Statistics of Iceland, censuses for the past centuries and other sources, he got his program up and running. Then, selling it to the people, he and others realized what a treasure this was. They put everything together in one rather big database and then put it online. The end result is Íslendingabók5, to which anyone Icelandic can gain access, and look at the information gathered about themselves the their family. The name was borrowed from the original Íslendingabók by Ari 'Fróði' Þorgilsson, thought to have been written between 1122 and 1133; it told the history of Iceland from settlement to the time of writing. This newer database is to span all Icelanders, living or dead, and although some information is sketchy at best, the database will be updated and kept alive with new generations. Access is restricted to ones family and one must pre-apply for a user name and password, but by inputting a name into a search box, one can find out just how one is related to the first settler, the Prime Minister or the latest pop star.

1Another advantage, perhaps, of living in a small country is that everyone is related to everyone else, in a broad sense.2But please, do not refer to Icelanders or Icelandic heroes of old as Norwegian, as there is a great custody battle going on as to who belongs to whom. Was Leifur Eiriksson Icelandic or Norwegian? Ask one person from each nation and you will get two completely different answers, usually involving long explanations and half their country's history.3In fact, in many cases, it will be the exact same lineage!4Friðrik Skúlason ehf.5Unfortunately, this resource is still not available in english

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A994601

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more