Blues harmonica do's and don'ts

3 Conversations

    Now that you've learned a bit about How to play the harmonica, there are some things you need to know about using Harmonicasto play the blues...

    Don't play over the vocals.

    Do try to echo the vocalist at the end of a line.

    Don't play over other people's solos.

    Do vamp along during others solos - use a very short repetative riff, even a single note and play quietly and sparsely.


    Don't
    try to play all the time, pick your places.


    Don't
    soak your harps in water or anything else - it does not help the sound, it just makes the comb swell until you feel like you're playing on a saw blade.


    Don't
    play after eating crackers, potato chips, peanuts or anything else likely to get stuck in your harp.


    Don't
    use other people's harp or share yours with friends. People are going to have their tongues on there and so are you.


    Do
    keep your harps in their cases or in some kind of container that keeps them free of dust and dirt that can (and will) clog the reeds.


    Do
    paint the key on the ends and tops of your harps in contrasting paint, liquid paper or nail polish so that you can immediately identify the key.


    Do
    make sure you know the key and have the proper harp before you blow a note. If you aren't sure what key the song is in ask the guitarist, bass or piano player, don't guess.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A955776

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more