The h2g2 Winter Meet 2003 - Abi

1 Conversation

h2g2 parties are known for the inclement nature of the weather. In other words, it normally rains... hard. So rising to find the day cloudy and dark didn't bode well. But for once the meteorological system smiled on us and by lunchtime London was bathed in (watery) sunshine. Mina and I met at a pub for lunch and a preparatory drink, before setting out to meet everyone.

We had arranged to meet the troops at Somerset House, one of the nicest public spaces in London. The reason for this was twofold; ice skating in the courtyard was an option for the brave and the house was the starting point for my cultural tour.
The h2g2 Researchers were easy to spot, thanks in the main to VIP's wings, Lifson Kofie's hat and Pastey's impression of the traditional London down and out. However there were a lot of new faces too and soon we were in a flurry of introductions and handing out of h2g2 pens. Needless to say Ashley arrived late and looking divine in black and white and a cheeky smile.

The Afternoon

We parted company about 2.30; Mina took the lazy people to the pub. I stayed in Somerset House with a far larger group then I was expecting and talked about the history of the site and the buildings. We then ventured off to see some of the other historical sites of interest around the Strand and Fleet Street. It was great to get to share my enthusiasm for the history of London with a captive audience and to show some London residents a few places of interest they might have never otherwise known about. We visited among other places Temple Bar, the remains of Whitefriars Priory and Dr Johnson's House. While we failed to make it to the original destination, Sir John Soane's museum and St Bride's Church turned out not to be open on a Saturday afternoon, everyone seemed to enjoy the afternoon, which was very gratifying. I wonder whether they will let me organise another one?

Mina takes up the story

Ooh, is this my bit? We arrived at the Shakespeare's Head some time after Shazz and Pastey had colonised the top end of the pub (typical!). We immediately took up residence at the bar, and then moved everybody down to the other end of the pub.

Snap!

After being a bit unsure about how serious the partygoers were about actually playing any of the games I thought that a quick game of Snap was needed to warm everyone up. We explained to Frankie Roberto exactly how one played snap, and we got stuck in. A fast and furious game of animal snap commenced and as we were in a booth the stares of the passers-by passed us by. Frankie managed to win, despite some heavy competition from Tube and Increase Mathers.

We moved onto a game called Nostalgia (many thanks to Lifson Kofie for being quizmaster) and asked ridiculous questions that most of us were too young to know what they were talking about. Blues Shark managed to win this game, so I sent him back up to the bar for more drinks and crisps. By this time 2Legs had arrived and was causing his usual chaos, and shortly after that the tour party arrived. We caused a huge bottleneck in the pub, and successfully managed to make normal punters stay away from our bit of the pub.

Back to Abi

In the evening, we moved to another pub, Penderel's Oak on High Holborn who had set aside their cellar bar especially for our party. It proved to be one of the best venues we have had - roomy, attentive bar staff and a microphone, which meant I didn't have to bellow out the pub quiz. Despite a small problem with the buffet or rather the lack of it, the venue seems to have been a success. The pub quiz was a particular highlight and featured prizes as diverse as mousemats, mugs and T-shirts which Natalie had managed to get a supply of. Inexplicably the microphone was in a cupboard, which meant that I couldn't see what was going on in most of the room but did have the advantage of not being able to hear Pastey and Justins' heckling.

The Evening

There were a lot of classic h2g2 moments, for example the awkward silence when Luckystar asked if Anna was Mrs SpankMunki and the difficulties of the bar staff in getting people to leave the pub at closing time. It was nice to see Mark and Peta had come back to join us, bringing with them some of the BBC people who have been involved in h2g2 over the last couple of years.

I slipped off shortly before closing time. I had a brilliant time but nerves about the success of the party had left me very tired. Thanks to everyone who came along on Saturday, particularly those who came from Europe and America to join us. The next party will be in early July and I for one cannot wait!

For those who joined in the pub quiz here are the scores of all the teams in reverse order1:

  • Manda + 2Legs - 142

  • Eenie menie miney know - 15

  • Smokers Inc - 15

  • The Salonistas - 15

  • Outsopken Silence of the Shiite Militia in Purple, Deep Purple - 17

  • The Male Masturbation Thread Incarnate - 17

  • Lepers Corner - 18

  • Kerbcrawlers - 183

  • Bob's Underpant Fiends - 18

  • Gnats International - 19

  • Candiumdragian Parekki - 20

  • Our Group - 21

Abi

h2g2 Meetup Photo Archive: London January 2003

30.01.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1We take no responsibility for any mistakes made while attempting to decipher Researchers' handwriting.2Bearing in mind that this team had half the number of Researchers as the winning team, this is a bloody great score!3There is mention of a bribe on this paper, we're still waiting...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A950195

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more