The Magical World of the Dolphin

1 Conversation


Dolphins are creatures of wonder and beauty that have inspired many poems, myths and legends over the centuries. Most people who love dolphins can not describe exactly what it is that makes dolphins so special to us. Maybe there are many things that make humans feel somehow connected to dolphins.

The earliest known portrayal of dolphins in art are ancient drawings carved into rocks in northern Norway. One is estimated to be around 8,000 years old.

A few centuries later dolphins appeared as motifs on vases, coins, mosaic floors and in paintings, sculptures and drawing. An early example is the fresco of a dolphin on the wall of the Queen's room in the Minoan palace of Knossos on the island of Crete. It is estimated to be around 3,500 years old.

Many ancient cultures like the Aborigines traditionally regard dolphins as spirits and messengers of the gods.
Now dolphins are still regarded as spiritual creatures. Many tests have shown that they have special healing powers that cannot be explained. There are many accounts of dolphins alleiviating cases of chronic depression or anxiety, enhancing recovery from life-threatening diseases and speeding up the learning potential of handicapped children. It has been shown that dolphins can help children with learning problems to learn four times quicker than any other teaching method and the children also remember the information for a longer period. It is believed that 'dolphin therapy' gives the children more confidence in their own abilities.
Now, though, it is getting harder to tell what is actually healed by the dolphin itself and what is just because of the emotional uplift of seeing a dolphin close up.

Have you ever looked a dolphin in the eye? People say that the eyes are windows to the soul. I believe that this is definately true in the case of the dolphin.
Although, looking into the eyes of a dolphin you can see happiness, you can also see the sorrow of a world damaged and polluted by one of its most intelligent life forms.

The earth is getting more dangerous for dolphins every day. Although people are more aware that tuna nets can catch dolphins by mistake it is still happening. In some places dolphins are still killed for their meat. All over the world rubbish is poured into our rivers and seas. (I say 'our' rivers referring collectively to us, dolphins, whales, fish and all other creatures on this planet.)This rubbish injures and kills dolphins.

If you ask most people they will say that dolphins are beautiful, intelligent creatures yet not enough is being done to save them from extinction.

Dolphins have paid a large part in our history and, hopefully, will continue to be but more will have to be done to save them. Think of them, it could be us dying out next!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A94376

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more