Scabby Queen - Card Game

2 Conversations

If you were to check the knuckles of every sixth year you met in Perthshire, Scotland, and you didn't see a bruise or a scar they're incredibly lucky, because on the surface of every serious card playing sixth year there will always be a blemish of some description. Also look at every pack of cards in their posession and there'll be a strange red stain on the edges of the cards. Whatever you're imagining it is, you're probably right.

A word of warning, although it is the aim of every sixth year to make their opponent cry and bleed, this isn't altogether advisable. Scabby Queen1 is vicious game.

The Rules:

  • Take out 1 or 3 of the Queens from the pack (tradition says to leave the Queen of Hearts)
  • Deal the whole pack to 3 or more players
  • Take out all the pairs you have leaving single cards only
  • Pick one card from the person on your right going round the group putting down pairs as you obtain them, and once you've gotten rid of all your cards you're out. The person left holding the Scabby Queen is thus the loser.

Penalty of Losing

  • Shuffle the pack (leaving the queen out for the next game)
  • The loser cuts the deck.

The Colour:

Red CardHard hits with the deck across your knuckles
Black CardSoft hits with the deck across your knuckles

The Number:

The number on the card represents the number of times the loser will be hit, face cards are equal to 11 hits and an Ace is equal to 12.

  • Clench fist and put arm out straight
  • The first person out goes first and gets the most hits

Division:

1st out3
2nd out2
Everyone Else1

  • Watch losers face show pain
  • Clean off anything from Cards

Best method of cheating:

See the cards of the person you're picking from whilst they're picking their card. Don't look at the queen if it's in your possession and push it higher than others as occasionally you'll find an incredibly naïve person is playing who'll pick the obvious card.

1The name of the game is dependant on where you live. Names include Scabby Queen (Perthshire, Scotland), Raps (Derbyshire and Staffordshire), Chase the Bitch (Staffordshire) and Executioner (Hampshire), it is also known as Chase the Ace in certain areas of Britain.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A907823

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more