h2g2 Literary Corner: Prayer for the First Earth Battalion

0 Conversations

Here's what the Fake News people are missing: the real world is so much more amazing than the Fake News, it's not even funny. A dedicated Researcher need never run out of truly astonishing and nearly unbelievable things to wonder at. Want proof? This document was actually written by a real US army colonel. He has the credentials to prove it.

Prayer for the First Earth Battalion

A lone soldier against an industrial landscape.

Here at the h2g2 Post, we wish to point out that in this New Year, we would only hope that more military types would adopt the attitudes expressed in Lt Col (ret'd) Jim Channon's First Earth Battalion Manual. Less competition and more synergy might help this poor planet right about now.

Lt Col Channon was portrayed by actor Jeff Bridges in the film The Men Who Stare at Goats. We have nothing against goat-staring, as long as no goats are harmed in the process. (And yes, we're aware that those were fainting goats in the movie. We've known some, and they're blasé about the fainting.)

We found this prayer in the Manual, and found it inspirational.

Earth Prayer

Mother Earth. . . my life support system. . .as a soldier. . . I must drink your blue water. . . live inside your red clay and eat your green skin.

I pray. . . my boots will always kiss your face and my footsteps match your heartbeat. . .

Carry my body through space and time. . .

You are my connection to the universe. . . and all that comes after.

I am yours and you are mine

I salute you

See? Explore what's out there before you start making it up, people.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.01.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87883357

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more