Hymn #28: Thus Sang Zarathustra

1 Conversation

Thus Sang Zarathustra

An illustration of the Sun.

Let us consider Zoroaster, or Zarathustra. Some say he invented Western ideas of religious faith. His religion, Zoroastrianism, is still practiced today. I knew a Zoroastrian Kurd when I lived in Cologne. His name was Genghiz, and he was a very compassionate, kind, and fun guy to be around. He also made a mean chicken stew. His childhood home was close to Mt Ararat.

The sacred songs are preserved in the Gathas of Zoroaster, which you may read if you've got the time. They're sort of like psalms. Here's somebody chanting some of them.

I don't know a lot about the theology, other than that it involves dualism – some sort of binary fight between good and evil, and therefore would probably be at home in the Star Wars universe. Here's the first verse I found:

1. With outspread hands in petition for that help, O Mazda, I will pray for the works of the holy spirit, O thou the Right, whereby I may please the will of Good Thought and the Ox-Soul.

It kind of reminds me of Psalm 1:

1. Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.


2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.


3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Both hymns mention following a higher power and trying to do what is right. Both use some sort of metaphor found in nature. The one difference I've noticed is that while the Hebrew Psalms are very interested in sheep, Zoroastrian hymns mention cows. I think it's a similar metaphor: in the Psalms, people are 'the sheep of His pasture', while in the Gathas, the soul is like an ox, bound in animal nature. Interesting.

Like the Psalms, which are often recited as a meditation – I've read that St Patrick taught monks to recite all 150 of them every night, but I don't know how true that it – the Gathas appear to be a form of meditation aimed at getting in touch with the divine. Pretty much the definition of 'hymn'.

I'm not sure you can get in touch with much of anything by listening to this, other than your memories of a rather weird movie.

Apparently, the Parsi folk in Gujrat are into Praise Songs. Here's one dedicated to Ahura Mazda (who's a good guy) in honour of Persian new year. To me it sounds as bad as Heavenly Father, We Appreciate You. I guess everybody has to put up with these trends, no matter how ancient your rituals are.

DG NaJoPoMo 2016 Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87881890

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more