Know Your Inuit Quiz

0 Conversations

Inuit, Sugpiag and Yupi'k Indians proclaiming their correct names.

Know Your Inuit Quiz

The weather’s turned colder this week, and my quiz-compiling thoughts turned to the words which have arrived into English from the Inuit peoples of the far frozen North.

We’re all familiar with the igloo (‘a dome-shaped Eskimo dwelling, typically built of blocks of compacted snow’), and the kayak (‘a canoe made of a framework of light wood covered with sealskins sewn together’), but there are many others beside. Can you match the words to their dictionary definitions?

You'll find a link to the answers at the foot of the page, but no peeking until you've guessed them all!

Definitions:

1. A breathing-hole in the ice, made by a seal.

2. A condition affecting the Inuit peoples in winter, characterized by an episode of wild excitement and irrational behaviour followed by a period of stupor or unconsciousness, sometimes with apparent seizures.

3. A dog-sledge used by the people of Labrador.

4. An Eskimo woman's knife having a crescent-shaped blade.

5. A long boot of sealskin worn by Eskimo peoples.

6. A non-Inuit person, specifically a person of European descent.

7. A peak of rock that is covered by ice but remains distinguishable.

8. The skin and outer blubber of a whale, used as food by the Inuit.

9. A structure of rough stones stacked in the form of a human figure, traditionally used by the Inuit as a landmark or commemorative sign, or to drive caribou toward hunters.

10. A type of small doll resembling an arctic owl, adopted as a distinctively Canadian symbol or souvenir.

Words:



a) aglu

b) inukshuk

c) kabloona

d) kamik

e) komatik

f) muktuk

g) Ookpik

h) piblokto

i) pingo

j) ulu

All done? Click the picture for the answers.

Icy's Quizzes and More Archive

Icy North

05.12.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87881827

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more