A Conversation for Superfrenchie's NaJoPoMo 2016

SF's NaJoPoMo 2016 - November 29th : Retirement and Trouble

Post 1

Superfrenchie


Le Mouroir aux Alouettes, by Virginie Lauby.
(the title is a pun between "miroir aux alouettes", which means something like smoke and mirrors, and "mouroir" which is a place where people go to die).


Paulo is in his seventies.
When he arrived at "Les Alouettes" retirement home, he knew he wouldn't leave, but that didn't make him want to fit in.
But then he met Frederic, who used to work for the railway company, Julien, who used be a shopkeeper, and Hortensia, a cross-dressing ex-cabaret owner.
The head of the home is a nice lady and they take to sharing their readings.
One of the nurses never fails to tell him about her latest crush (that happens a lot).

Then one day, the head leaves and is replaced by another lady.

And things start to go downhill...



This is a bit of a thriller, and a bit of general fiction.
I once described it as "a book that should be enjoyed in the same way as a dark chocolate bar : in one go, and without sharing (let them buy it for themselves!)".
I stand by that description.
smiley - choc


Key: Complain about this post

SF's NaJoPoMo 2016 - November 29th : Retirement and Trouble

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more