h2g2 Caption Challenge: Sunflower Surprise

1 Conversation

Can you think of a snappy caption for this odd picture? Of course you can. You're a h2g2 Researcher.

Sunflower Surprise

The first sunflower peeks over the car park.
The heart that has truly loved never forgets,

But as truly loves on to the close,

As the sun-flower turns on her god, when he sets,

The same look that she turn'd when he rose.


Thomas Moore, 1808

The scheme was simple: plant a row of sunflowers just behind the wall that separates the back garden from the municipal car park. Then let them peek over and greet the patrons. It's not as if the local people are unaware of their bucolic settings: last year, during hunting season, frightened yearlings sought sanctuary there. The car owners had dents and hoofprints to prove it when the herd used the vehicles as springboards to vault the bricks.

Do you know how long it takes for a sunflower to grow to this magnificent height from a mere tiny seed? 100 days, that's how long. That's a long time in Pennsylvania's short but glorious summer. Here it is, September already, and we're hoping for sunflower seeds before first frost. At least, the birds are hoping for the sunflower seeds. They'll get them all for sure.

Still, it was fun watching them grow.

Do you have a suitable caption for this horticultural event?

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.09.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87877534

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more