The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide: 2015-2019

2 Conversations

The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide
1937-1949 |
1950-1969 |
1970-1979
1980-1989 |
1990-1999 |
2000-2009
2010-2014 |
2015-2019

The Walt Disney Animation Studio is by far the most successful animation studio in the world. Although their story involves both dips and peaks, the five years between 2015 and 2019 was a period of consolidation at the top of their field. While they had no spectacular successes on quite the scale of Frozen (2014), they had no flops either. However half their output during this period were sequels to earlier films.

Since 2006 the Walt Disney Animation Studio's Chief Creative Officer has been John Lasseter, who is considered one of the most successful filmmakers of all time. Seven of the first ten animated films Seven of the first ten animated films to have taken in more than $1 billion at the box office were made with his involvement. He is also credited with reversing the downward trend that had been affecting Disney's animated films in the opening years of the 21st Century. Yet this wunderkind hid a dark side that would be exposed by the end of the decade.

The Classics

In the last 75 years, the Walt Disney Studio has released over 50 animated films it has labelled 'Classics'. Between 2015 and 2019 four classics were released, two in 2016 one in 2018 and one in 2019. Also mentioned is whether these films pass the Bechdel Test. This can be summarised as whether the film involves two or more named female characters who have a conversation together that is not focussed on any male characters.

55. Zootropolis (2016)


DirectorsBryon Howard, Rich Moore and Jared Bush
PlotJudy Hopps, Zootopia's first rabbit police officer in a world where all mammals peacefully co-exist, investigates the case of a missing otter despite the misgivings of the police chief. After blackmailing con artist fox Nick Wilde, the last person known to have seen him, into helping her, she soon finds herself uncovering something which seems to be turning Zootopia's peace-loving predators into fierce, savage killers, threatening the very tranquillity of Zootopia itself.
Length108 minutes
SettingRural Bunnyburrow and sprawling metropolis Zootopia in a world of anthropomorphic mammals.
Animated Animals
  • Judy Hopps, rabbit police officer (Ginnifer Goodwin, Della Saba as young Judy)
  • Nicholas 'Nick' P Wilde, a red fox con artist (Jason Bateman)
  • Chief Bogo, a buffalo police chief (Idris Elba)
  • Dawn Bellwether, assistant mayor sheep (Jenny Slate)
  • Officer Benjamin Clawhauser, obese police cheetah (Nate Torrence)
  • Bonnie & Stu Hopps, Judy's parents (Bonnie Hunt & Stu Lake)
  • Yax, a Yak naturalist (Tommy Chong)
  • Mayor Leodore Lionheart, a lion (JK Simmons)
  • Mrs Otterton, an otter whose husband has vanished (Octavia Spencer)
  • Duke Weaselton, a spiv (Alan Tudyk)
  • Gazelle, a pop star (Shakira)
  • Flash, a sloth (Raymond S Persi)
  • Mr Big, an Arctic shrew crime lord (Maurice LaMarche)
BechdelPass
Songs:Score by Michael Giacchino
  • 'Try Everything' by Sia Furler, Tor Erik Hermansen, Mikkel S Eriksen and performed by Shakira

Also known as Zootopia, the film was released to a highly successful box office. Nick Wilde's design was created to resemble Robin from Disney's animated Robin Hood (1973), which also features anthropomorphic animals. Only mammals appear in the film. One of the joys of rewatching the film is trying to spot the in-jokes, especially references to The Godfather as well as Disney films. For example, the Duke of Weaseltown was played by Alan Tudyk, who had played the Duke of Weselton in Frozen (2013). There are numerous bands and brands seen in the background for the sharp-eyed to spot, including musicians The Beagles (The Beatles), Ewe 2 (U2), Fleetwood Yak (Fleetwood Mac), Gun 'N' Rodents (Guns 'n' Roses), Mick Jaguar (Mick Jagger) as well as Mousy's Department store, Moustercharge credit cards, with Carrot computers having a similar logo to that of Apple.

Zootopia won the 2017 Best Animated Film Oscar. It was the second most successful animated film of the year, behind Finding Dory. At time of release it was the fifth most successful animated film ever behind Frozen (2013), Minions (2015), Toy Story 3 (2010) and Finding Dory.

56. Moana (2016)


DirectorRon Clements & John Musker
PlotDarkness is covering the earth! The powerful and magical heart of the goddess Te Fiti had been taken by demigod Maui, who promptly lost it and his fishhook after he was attacked by Te Ka, a lava demon. This heart has the power of life and its loss means that a deathly sickness is slowly spreading. Centuries later a young girl called Moana who lives on an isolated island finds the heart. Seeing the sickness affecting her idyllic island home she defies her culture to go on a voyage to restore the heart. To succeed she needs the help of a very reluctant Maui to get past Te Ka, restore Te Fiti's heart and end the sickness.
Length113 minutes
SettingPolynesia including the islands of Motunui and Te Fiti via the Realm of Monsters
Perky PrincessMoana Waialiki, chief's daughter (Auli'i Cravalho)
Airy FairyMaui, a shape-shifting demigod who was born human and gets his power from a magical fishhook (Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson)
Characters
  • Gramma Tala Waialiki, Moana's grandmother (Rachel House)
  • Chief Tui Waialiki, Moana's father (Temuera Morrison)
  • Sina Waialiki, Moana's mother (Nicole Scherzinger)
  • Tamatoa, a monstrous, giant crab (Jemaine Clement)
Animated Animals
  • Heihei, a really useless rooster (Alan Tudyk)
Book BeginningGramma tells the legend of Maui with help from illustrations
SourceInspired by Polynesian Mythology
BechdelPass
Songs:By Opetaia Foa'i and Lin-Manuel Miranda:
  • 'Tulou Tagaloa'
  • 'An Innocent Warrior'
  • 'Where You Are'
  • 'How Far I'll Go'
  • 'We Know The Way'
  • 'You're Welcome'
  • 'Shiny'
  • 'Logo Te Pate'
  • 'I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors) '
  • 'Know Who You Are'
Spin Off:Gone Fishing (2017) - Short

Produced by Ron Clements and John Musker, the team behind such Disney films such as Basil the Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, Treasure Planet and The Princess and the Frog. They had hoped to adapt Terry Pratchett's Mort but were unable to secure the film rights, and so decided to make a film based on Polynesian mythology instead. They were particularly inspired by the story of demigod Maui. The film in many ways is a counterpoint to Ariel in The Little Mermaid as Moana wishes to escape to the ocean as much as Ariel had hoped to learn more of the land. The film contains numerous references to the team's earlier films, especially in Tamatoa's scene. His song includes phrases 'listen to your heart' and 'a diamond in the rough' which reference Pocahontas and Aladdin, and he even has Aladdin's lamp.

Jemaine Clement, who played Tamatoa, is famous for his impressions of glam rock star David Bowie. Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote the song 'Shiny' with this in mind as a tribute to Bowie. Miranda recorded a demo of the song which he sent to Clement as a guide to how the song should be performed. Clement said about the demo, 'you can tell that he’s doing an impression of my impression of David Bowie.'

The film is predominantly CGI, but Maui's tattoos are hand-drawn.

Moana was the fifth most successful animated film of the year, behind Pixar's Finding Dory, Disney's Zootropolis, Illumination Entertainment's The Secret Life of Pets and DreamWorks Animation's Kung Fu Panda 3.

57. Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)

DirectorsPhil Johnston and Rich Moore
PlotCharacters inside the games of an amusement arcade are sentient. After character Wreck-it Ralph accidentally causes the steering wheel on his best friend Vanellope's game to break, he and Vanellope head into the internet intending to find a replacement. How will arcade characters Ralph and Vanellope raise the money necessary to buy the steering wheel? Will Vanellope lose her game for good? How will the infinite horizons offered by the internet impact on their lives? Will Wreck-It Ralph break the internet?
Length112 minutes
SettingInside various arcade games and the Internet
Perky Princesses
  • Vanellope von Schweetz, royal racer in game Sugar Rush (Sarah Silverman)
  • Ariel, princess in The Little Mermaid (Jodi Benson)
  • Belle, princess in Beauty and the Beast (Paige O'Hara)
  • Jasmine, princess in Aladdin (Linda Larkin)
  • Pocahontas, princess in Pocahontas (Irene Bedard)
  • Tiana, princess in The Princess and the Frog (Anika Noni Rose)
  • Rapunzel, princess in Tangled (Mandy Moore)
  • Merida, princess in Pixar's Brave (Kelly Macdonald)
  • Anna, princess in Frozen (Kristen Bell)
  • Elsa, princess in Frozen (Idina Menzel)
  • Moana, princess in Moana (Auli'i Cravalho)
  • Snow White, princess in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Pamela Ribon)
  • Cinderella, princess in Cinderella (Jennifer Hale)
  • Aurora, princess in Sleeping Beauty (Kate Higgins)
  • Mulan, neither descended from nor married to royalty (Ming-Na Wen)
Characters
  • Wreck-It Ralph (John C Reilly)
  • Shank, a tough and wise racer in Slaughter Race (Gal Gadot)
  • Fix-It Felix, Jr. (Jack McBrayer)
  • Sergeant Tamora Jean Calhoun (Jane Lynch)
  • Yesss, head of video trending site BuzzzTube (Taraji P. Henson)
  • KnowsMore, a search engine (Alan Tudyk)
Book BeginningArcade Games instead
BechdelPass
Songs:Music by Alan Menken, lyrics by Phil Johnston and Tom MacDougall unless stated:
  • 'Zero ' by Dan Reynolds, Wayne Sermon, Ben McKee, Daniel Platzman and John Hill
  • 'A Place Called Slaughter Race'
  • 'In This Place'
Sequel to:52. Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

This is the first official Disney sequel to be made by the same production team as the first film and only the fourth official Disney Classic sequel1, although sequels had been made by Disney's other animation studios2.

Many of the original Disney princesses returned to play their characters, except for the actresses who had originally voiced Disney's first three princesses, two of whom (original Snow White Adriana Caselotti and Cinderella Jacqueline 'Ilene' Woods) had since passed away with Mary Costa who originally played Aurora having retired. Snow White was now voiced by scriptwriter Pamela Ribon while Jennifer Hale and Kate Higgins who played Cinderella and Aurora respectively had previously played the characters in various Disney productions. The princesses wear t-shirts with labels that reflect their films and personalities. Other cameos include Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear, Anthony Daniels as C-3PO, Vin Diesel as Groot, Brad Garrett as Eeyore and Corey Burton plays Grumpy for the first time in an official Disney Classic, having voiced him in other spin-offs. Tudyk who voices Knowsmore had previously played King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph. In the UK popular YouTube star Dan TDM played minor character the eBoy.

58. Frozen II (2019)


DirectorsChris Buck & Jennifer Lee
PlotWhen the spirits of Earth, Wind, Fire and Water go out of balance, sisters Queen Elsa and Princess Anna of Arendelle head north to an Enchanted Forest, accompanied by Olaf, Kristoff and his reindeer Sven. They remember their parents telling them when they were children how their father visited the area when he was a child. Then a gift of peace led to war between Arendelle and the Northuldra people living in the forest, which angered the spirits. Only by learning the truth about what happened and their parents' secret can they restore balance to the forces of nature.
Length103 minutes
SettingArendelle, fictional Scandinavian mediæval kingdom, and neighbouring enchanted forest Northuldra, predominantly three years after the events of Frozen (with flashbacks).
Fairytale CastlesArendelle's castle
Perky Princess
  • Princess Anna (Kristen Bell, young: Hadley Gannaway & Libby Stubenrauch)
  • Queen Elsa (Idina Menzel, young: Mattea Conforti & Eva Bella)
Airy Fairy
  • Grand Pabbie the Troll King (Ciarán Hinds)
Animated Animals
  • Sven, a reindeer
Other Characters
  • Kristoff, man wishing to propose to Anna (Jonathan Groff)
  • Olaf, a snowman (Josh Gad)
  • Mattias, Arendelle soldier (Sterling K Brown)
  • Queen Iduna, Anna and Elsa's mother (Adult: Evan Rachel Wood, Child: Delaney Rose Stein, flashback only)
  • King Agnarr, their father (Adult: Alfred Molina, Child: Jackson Stein, flashback only)
  • Yelena, Ryder & Honeymaren, Northuldra (Martha Plimpton, Jason Ritter & Rachel Matthews)
  • King Runeard, Agnarr's father and Elsa & Anna's grandfather (Jeremy Sisto)
SourceInspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen (1845)
BechdelPass
Songs:By husband and wife team Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez
  • 'All Is Found'
  • 'Some Things Never Change'
  • 'Into the Unknown'
  • 'When I Am Older'
  • 'Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People'
  • 'Lost in the Woods'
  • 'Show Yourself'
  • 'The Next Right Thing'
  • 'Vuelie' by Frode Fjellheim and Christophe Beck
Related Films
  • 53. Frozen (2013)
  • Frozen Fever (2015 short)

A film that lives up to the expectations of the first. There are numerous cameos, including snow models of Disney characters Dumbo the elephant and Baymax from Big Hero 6 (2014). There are also nods to Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Jennifer Lee, the writer and director of the Frozen films, had been promoted to Head of Walt Disney Animation Studios since the first film was released. This was following the disgrace of John Lasseter. Frozen II was the most successful animated film of the year3.

Amusingly, the original trailer showed Elsa having a conversation with a female character and this led to intense speculation that it inevitably meant that Elsa was the first lesbian Disney princess. In fact she merely has a brief conversation with a minor female character, who isn't even a long-lost relative either. The film had already easily passed the Bechdel Test. Elsa's sexuality (and Honeymaren's too, come to that) remains unspecified.

Overall the film's storyline is that instead of the universe being made of Four Elements or Spirits – Earth, Wind, Fire and Water – there is additionally a fifth, central Element. Which is Disney4. This pretty much sums up Disney's view of the universe.

Co-Productions and Other Animated Films

  • Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (2015)

    DisneyToon Studios were a separate animation studio owned by Disney, though Tinker Bell and the Legend of the Neverbeast was their final film before closing in 2018.

  • Strange Magic (2015) by Lucasfilm Animation

    Lucasfilm had begun work on this animated film before their purchase by Disney in 2012. Marketed as a modern musical fairy tale, it bombed.

  • Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
    Mary Poppins Returns was a belated sequel to Mary Poppins (1964). Though a live-action film it contains a 17-minute sequence combining live-action and traditional hand-drawn cel animation.

  • Spies in Disguise (2019)

    Blue Sky Studios was 20th Century Fox's animation studio. When the Walt Disney Company bought 20th Century Fox Spies in Disguise was already in production.

Pixar

  • Inside Out (2015)
  • The Good Dinosaur (2015)
  • Finding Dory (2016)
  • Cars 3 (2017)
  • Coco (2017)
  • Incredibles 2 (2018)
  • Toy Story 4 (2019)

Originally an independent animation studio that made films funded by Disney, Pixar and Disney have since merged. One of the terms of the merger was that Pixar would remain an independent studio, though owned by Disney.

Live Action Remakes

During this period Walt Disney Pictures pursued remaking previously animated films in live action with a vengeance. Many of these contained various degrees of computer animation including computer-animated main characters seen in The Jungle Book and Dumbo. However an 'Animated' film is a very specific term and relates to how a film is made, not how it appears.

The Lion King remake featured only computer-generated characters. Despite this, it is still technically classed as a 'live action' film and not 'animation'. Since the controversy over whether the motion-capture film Happy Feet (2006) should be classed as an animation, and to exclude films such as Avatar (2010) from qualifying, Animation is defined by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as 'a motion picture in which movement and characters’ performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique, a significant number of the major characters are animated, and animation figures in no less than 75 percent of the running time'. The Lion King was made by filming characters against a bluescreen rather than by utilising a frame-by-frame technique and so, though the characters are computer-generated, the film is classed as live action and not animation.

  • Cinderella (1950/2015)
  • The Jungle Book (1967/2016)
  • Pete's Dragon (1977/2016)
  • Beauty and the Beast (1991/2017)
  • Dumbo (1941/2019)
  • Aladdin (1992/2019)
  • The Lion King (1994/2019)

Into the Future

By the end of the decade the Walt Disney Animation Studio's position was looking almost unassailable, with the Walt Disney Company dominating the market. Following the purchase of 20th Century Fox in 2019, they now own three of the world's leading animation studios (Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar and Blue Sky). They are also blurring even more the traditional boundaries between live action and animation. Even though they had closed a fourth studio, DisneyToon Studios, their dominant position as market leaders looks set to continue, yet they have endured a major internal shakeup.

In 2017, the denouncement of Harvey Weinstein as a sexual predator led to the #MeToo movement, encouraging women to expose other offenders. Later in the year, John Lasseter admitted sexual misconduct5. This resulted in an initial six month leave-of-absence but this was followed by his leaving the Walt Disney Company at the end of 2018. Frozen 2 was the last film to be made with his close involvement. Would his leaving have as grave an impact on the Walt Disney Animation Studio's fortunes as Jeffrey Katzenberg's had back in 1994?

The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide
1937-1949 |
1950-1969 |
1970-1979
1980-1989 |
1990-1999 |
2000-2009
2010-2014 |
2015-2019
1Following The Rescuers (1977) / The Rescuers Down Under (1990), Fantasia (1940) / Fantasia 2000 (2000) and The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh (1977) / Winnie-the-Pooh (2001).2DisneyToon Studios made several sequels to Disney Classics while Pixar have made sequels to earlier Pixar films.3Excluding the more successful live-action remake of The Lion King.4Or, more specifically, Disney Princesses.5Lasseter admitted he had on numerous occasions grabbed, kissed and made inappropriate comments regarding female members of staff, often, but not always, following the consumption of alcohol.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87875581

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more