Chicken and Mushroom Pasta with Tomato and Rosemary

1 Conversation

There are many varieties of pasta that can be found in shops, and many varieties of sauce in jars that you can put with them for a quick and easy meal. However, if you feel a bit more adventurous and decide to make your own sauce (or want to make a sauce without added preservatives, natural or otherwise) here is a recipe that has tasty flavour but is relatively straightforward to prepare1.

This recipe is enough for four people, or three if you prefer larger portions.

Equipment

  • Wok or large frying pan
  • Small frying pan
  • Large saucepan
  • Wooden spoon
  • Teaspoon
  • Sharp knife
  • Meat scissors
  • Kitchen scales

Ingredients

  • 200g pasta - fusilli (spirals) are particularly good, but you could use other types, such as farfalle (bowties) or conchiglie (shells)
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 150g mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 chicken breasts cut into pieces using the meat scissors
  • 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 6 teaspoons of dried rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
  • Olive oil for frying
  • Black pepper to taste

Method

Don't forget to be aware of hygiene as this recipe involves raw poultry - in particular prepare the vegetables and chicken on separate surfaces and wash your hands and the utensils thoroughly after handling the chicken.

  1. Heat some olive oil in the wok and add the mushrooms and onion.

  2. While the mushrooms and onion are cooking, heat some olive oil in the small frying pan and add the chicken. Stir both pans regularly to ensure the ingredients are evenly heated.

  3. When the chicken has been browned (so each piece is white on the surface rather than pink) add it to the wok.

  4. Add the chopped tomatoes, rosemary, garlic and pepper to the wok, stir well and bring the mixture to the boil. Simmer on a medium heat (so as not to evaporate too much of the tomato juice) for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

  5. While the sauce is simmering, boil some water in the large saucepan and add the pasta. Bring the water back to the boil, then turn the heat down slightly. Leave the pasta to simmer, stirring it occasionally, until it is al dente (so it is cooked through but firm to the bite) - this usually takes about 8 minutes, but you should check the instructions on the packaging for the pasta you chose.

  6. Drain the pasta and then add it to the wok. Stir the pasta and sauce together, ensure the mixture is hot, and then serve the meal.

Salt and pepper should be available on the table in case anyone wants to add more than is already in the dish2.

If you haven't got a small frying pan as well as a large one, you could brown the chicken in the large frying pan. Set the chicken aside while you cook the onion and mushrooms for 5-10 minutes. Then put the chicken back in the pan and continue from Step 5.

This recipe uses a mixture of fresh ingredients and storecupboard items for ease of preparation. Once you have mastered it, you can take it to the next level by using fresh tomatoes, garlic and rosemary as well3.

If you're only wanting a meal for one, the other portions can be transferred to airtight containers when they have cooled. Store them in the fridge and they can either be eaten as chilled pasta, or you can reheat them in the microwave to enjoy on the following days too! The dish is also suitable for freezing. You can serve it on its own, or with a side salad. Green beans or broccoli also go well with this dish.

1 This Researcher is a novice cook and enjoyed making this meal.2Salt is not included as a separate ingredient, but there will be some salt naturally in the other ingredients - this may be sufficient for some people, but others may prefer to add more.3This Researcher is not at that level yet.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87871756

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more