The Post Guide to Hemispheric Flora

0 Conversations

Seasonal reflections.

The Post Guide to Hemispheric Flora

Dandelions and rock.

It's spring. At least, it's spring in the northern hemisphere. Do you visualise 'north' as 'on top'? Then you're probably the victim of hemispheric conditioning by generations of blinkered map makers. After all, there's no upside-down in space, right? But however you visualise it, you're bound to welcome these harbingers of longer and sunnier days and warmer nights to come.

Sure, it's only a dandelion. But it makes the bees hum, and leads to hopes of more flowers and a nice, ripe tomato or two.

These flowers are a signal. They say, 'Get out the gardening gloves. Tell the cats to quit napping in the pail. Check on those seeds drying in the cupboard, and figure out where you hid that trowel. Get ready to rumble!'

Jonquils.

These are jonquils. Or daffodils, if you prefer. It's a kind of narcissus. You remember the legend of Narcissus? He fell in love with his own reflection. (People like that are often found on Youtube.) If the original narcissist was anywhere near as beautiful as this flower, we can kind of see how it happened. Anyway, the jonquils are a welcome addition to the springtime neighbourhood.

This particular kind is said to be local here, but I lack Willem's botanical knowledge. All I know is that they're pretty, and hardy. They popped right up as soon as the snow quit.

Here are more of our daffodils, all in a row.

smiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petuniassmiley - petunias

Jonquils.Dioscorea dregean by Willem.

Over on the other side of the equator, things are different. There, summer is winding down into fall, and things are cooling off. Willem says, 'First sign of Autumn over here ... see, some of my plants' leaves are turning yellow!' He sent this photo to prove it. Interesting the way they turned.

The plant is called Dioscorea dregeana, and I forgot to ask Willem about it. I looked it up, and it turns out it's a kind of yam. Don't know if it's tasty. Willem has written about other yams, though, so you can read up on them. Plants thrive in Willem's garden, because he has a green thumb and lots of knowledge.

Whereas plants in the Gheorgheni yard have to rely on luck, tenacity, and the occasional good piece of advice from the Hoggetts – such as, 'Don't plant anything until it stops snowing in Colorado.'

Keep turning, Earth, and a belated Happy Earth Day to you!

General Features Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

Willem

02.05.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87871260

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more