GotM: Thomas Was Alone

0 Conversations

How much fun can you have with quadrilaterals? Loads as it turns out.

banner by FWR

Thomas Was Alone

Thomas Was Alone is a 2D side-scrolling puzzle-platformer and has been released in a variety of formats since it's 2012 opener as a flash game. Narrated by Danny Wallace, for which he a earned a Game Performance BAFTA in 2013, it follows the adventures of a red rectangle, Thomas (the one at the top of the screen) who has suddenly become self aware.

During his travels he discovers that he is as good at jumping as he is at falling and meets other quadrilaterals each with a different skill that will allow them all to travel safely through the world. First up is Christopher, a small orange square. He can jump, but not as high as Thomas and he rather hates Thomas at the beginning but because of his lack of stature he can enter smaller pathways, which will come in rather handy.

Next up is John, a tall yellow rectangle with rather exceptional jumping skills, both in height and length.

The fourth character to join the game is Claire. She's a large blue square who finds it difficlut to move arond on land and cannot jump very high, she does, however, have the ability to float, which none of the others can and so can help them traverse areas with toxic water.

Laura is the next character we meet, she's a narrow, pink, horizontal rectangle, despite her rather poor jumping ability she is able to be used as a trampoline to aid others to jump higher. James is the next one and, like Thomas, he is a rectangle, but green with reversed polarity meaning he can walk on the ceilings, allowing others to reach areas that could not have been reached previously. Finally we meet Sarah, a thin squat purple rectangle. She can jump the highest of all of them, having the ability to double jump and as the smallest of the group can reach areas the others can't.

The game isn't very long, clocking in at about three and half hours, but it sure packs a lot into those hours. Travelling through the world in search of The Fountain of Knowlege with a variety of different shapes with hugely differing personalities is an absolute joy. The narration's not half bad either. I'd suggest if you have a Steam account or an Xbox one, you'd be daft not to pick this one up.

Game of the Month Archive

Magwitch

29.02.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87867959

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more