§

0 Conversations

For re en actors and licenced enthusiasts, and for information of history buffs and other interested parties.

How to load a muzzle loading Weapon safely

This only applies to a good condition weapon that has been proofed in an official testing range. If in doubt do not attempt to fire any old muzzle loading weapon that you discover in granddads loft. And in the UK and most of Europe you need a valid licence or you will be arrested if found in possession of any firearm.

First check the weapon carefully, it should be clean, and damage free.
Next check the barrel, use the ramrod (or scouring stick). If you do not get a metallic ring then there is something down there, possibly a preload so don't look down the barrel. Get an expert to clear tide obstruction, they will have a worm (a corkscrew device on a long rod)

Loading Procedure

Having examined the weapon and checked that everything Is In GOOD Order.

Now you can consider loading it as you will be blank firing the procedure is -

On a flint lock pull back and lock the hammer in the half cock position.
Close the pan cover.
Pour a premeasured charge of black powder down the barrel.
Insert a piece of wadding and ram home firmly.

DANGER. At this point in live firing the musket ball down the barrel. A rolling fit is a ball that will drop down the barrel, if it is tight you may need to "hammer it home". Now at this point you have a weapon that is classer as class 1 firearm, this means you are committing an offence and risk arrest so if you do not hold a proper licence you do not advance to this point. Also you NEVER load an old antique black powder weapon, the breech could blow and if you do not loose your life, you will loose a large part of your face and your eyesight.

Remove the ramrod from the barrel.
Open the pan there may be some powder from the charge? so check and top up as necessary. Close the pan cover and blow off the surplus powder. From this point you do not put the weapon down and you carry it pointing at the sky.

Just before you fire check that there is no one standing in the line of fire (remember it is possible to kill firing blank if someone is within 3 meters of the weapon) they will probably loose their eyesight.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87858517

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more