CHURCHMICE (back up)

0 Conversations

<GUIDE>
<BODY>
<HEADER>
CHURCHMICE
</HEADER> ( Back up copy)
</BR</BR>



<CENTER>
<BOLD><I> Churchmice
</I>
</BOLD>

</BR>
<BOLD>
This entry is exerpted entirely from "The Last Churchmouse Just Died"
</BR>
by the soon to be highly celebrated author John W Fulton (aka ~jwf~)
</BR>
via the auspices of Stand and Deliver, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
</BR>
All rights reserved including but not limited to denial of its existence
</BR> or creation when faced with issues of copyright usages.
</BOLD>
</CENTER>
</BR>
</BR>
</BR>
The Churchmouse is a very interesting species - one of only a few deserving of our intellectual study for having direct and compelling evolutionary and historical connections to the evolution of our own species. Study of these creatures is currently critically underestimated but worthy of much greater understanding and meaningful appreciation.
</BR>
The nominclalure 'Churchmouse' comes from the kind of real life observation, experience and conclusions made by early scientists and thinkers and can therefore have no real modern "scientific" creditation - such as the crudely formulated 'homo erectus' or Modern Man as a sub-species descended from a more generic hominid grouping. While the classification is unscientific by current academic systems it has what most modern Science lacks - a human touch.
</BR>
</BR>
The name came from the real life observations of early writers, thinkers, poets, priests, philosophers and kings who had developed new media that improved upon labour instensive stone tablets and clay impressions of assorted stylus styles and variations. These media were mostly organic and edible for mice.
</BR>
</BR>
The early scribes had begun using sheepskin hides, papyrus scroll and rice papers as their new media for storing and disseminating information. Their brave new whirled (sic) of discoveries, observations and philosophical thought has led us to the modern overly-organised classifications of species now in general usage.
</BR>
</BR>
But Churchmice are well named - a Churchmouse did what it said on the label - being a new breed of mice who took up their living off the newly developed media being used by these earliest scribes. The media consisted as a foodstuff of seeming constant availability, quality and value and just as easily portable and storable as food bits for them as they were as information storage units for the thinkers who wrote on them. By creating a lighter more portable media they created a whole new environment. Long term storage in dry environments was intended as well as lightness and portability - the collatoral benefits to mice in general cannot be ignored.
</BR>
</BR>
Churchmouse is a name therefore useful and most refreshingly rewarding in how it is the most appropriate nomenclature demonstrating at once why the species has existed so successfully in parallel with our own modern evolutionary development. (The word progress will never be used in this context by this writer.)

</BR>
</BR>

If as is now believed our own last great burst of evolutionary development occurred between ten and fifteen thousand years ago with the advent of agriculture. It seemed a more satisfying way of living than scavenging for berries and nuts and killing wild beasts while roaming about on great energy-consuming and dangerous migratory journeys in constant search of reliable new food sources and shelter. In much the same way the Churchmouse enjoyed new freedoms, comforts and became a more domesticated beast unlike most wild animals including the generic wild Field Mice who remained dependent on good fortune, keen hunting skills and finding shelter unable to obtain access or certainty from the new whirled created by our agricultural economies.

</BR>
</BR>
</BODY>
</GUIDE>

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87849418

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more