Venerable Researchers: Asteroid Lil

0 Conversations

A chatty budgerigar with a book called 'How to Speak to Humans'.

Venerable Researchers

This interviewee is the proprietess of somewhere referenced by many, if not most, of our prior guests, as well as someone helping h2g2 run smoothly.

Please welcome Asteroid Lil.

When did you join h2g2?

September 1999.

How did you hear of/find h2g2?

Via Starship Titanic, which led me to TDV and thence to h2g2.

Why did you join h2g2?

Because of my love for the works of Douglas Adams.

Did you jump right in, or did you lurk awhile first?

I jumped right in. I think on my first visit I joined the Rambling Misfits. And then the Aroma Café.

Have you written an Edited Entry?

I've written several.

How many?

Um...

What was your first Entry?

Something about asteroids which was conjoined with a joke entry, and is now in the Mostly Harmless bin.

What is your favorite Entry (of the ones you've written)?

The one about Billy the Kid. It was well received by the Italics.

What is your favorite Entry by someone else?

Rabelais is greatly under-appreciated. I must find out what became of the author. And that, incidentally, is one of my favorites; it would be difficult to list them all.

Oo, I think I have pailaway as a friend on FB. But I'm awful at correlating real names and h2g2 names unless I know someone fairly well outside of h2g2.

Do you belong to/have you started any clubs/societies/what-have-you on h2g2?

The Atelier.

A fair proportion of the interviewees thus far are members of the Atelier. So am I, for that matter.

Is that/are those club(s)/society(ies)/what-have-you(s) still active?

Yes! 13 years and still going.

Have you held any volunteer positions in the past?

Yes - long-time community artist, sub-editor before Peer Review was launched.

Are you a current volunteer?

Yes.

Which elvised researcher do you miss most?

I miss Garius Lupus and Afgncaap5, my absentee landlords; they ran CLI. I rent the upstairs, which is the Atelier. I also miss Amy Ant, Hypoman, Peripatetic Warrior Monk, Odradek, Irv, Mike A, Montana Redhead, Fraulein Grafenberg, Sporkulious Eglon, the Bubster, Looneytunes, d'Elaphant, and others whose names will come back to me after I finish this sentence.

Have you been an elvised researcher?

Nope, although I I pretended to have been kidnapped while I was moving from Florida to New Mexico.

What brought you back?

I was rescued by a band of salonistas who defeated the Webjello Gang, and incidentally obtained an internet connection at my new home.

Those interested in the adventure can read it here.

Have you been known by other names on h2g2 (not necessarily other accounts)?

Yes.

Is there anything from h2g2's past that you miss?

A lot of researchers.

Is there anything from h2g2's past that you wish you hadn't witnessed?

Poor management of a valuable resource by the BBC.

What aspect of current h2g2 do you wish had been extant when you joined?

It's the other way around: Douglas Adams was alive when I joined. I wish he was alive today.

Have you been to any meets, of any size, whether "official" or not (meet=over a dozen, minimeet=6-12, micromeet=less than a half dozen)?

Yes.

How many?

One micromeet, when 4 researchers came to Lincoln, NM to visit me.

Of course, since there was a few months' delay between the answering and the posting, there's been another micromeet, with Pastey and Alabaster.

Was my self portrait there?

Sadly, no.

Am I asking too many questions?

Is this getting annoying?

*enigmatic silence*

How about now?

*pokes Amy*

OK, OK!

If I were to give you a mufflewhump, what would it turn into, keeping in mind that they can't turn into anything sapient nor anything that can act against the giver's (ie, my) interest, and that they only work on h2g2?

A Luggage.

Had you even heard of mufflewhumps before the previous question?

Yes.

Have I given you one before?

Yes.

Did you know me before this interview?

Yes.

Do you have a question for me (fair's fair, after all)?

My question: how has your experience as a researcher affected you in real life?

That's a really good question. I wish I'd thought of that question. Too bad it's too late to go back and ask everyone that.

Well, to start with the obvious, if it weren't for h2g2, I wouldn't have friends on 5 continents1. I certainly wouldn't've ever made international phone calls, at one point, at least 1-2 times a month. My first time in an airplane2 was brought about by a meet.

If it weren't for 20 individual h2g2 researchers inviting me in a 24 hour period, I would never have joined a certain well-known social media site. Had I not joined that site, I never would've gotten back in touch with my exStepmom, my exStepsisters, any of my aunts, uncles, or cousins, or some old school friends I'd been trying off and on to find the majority of this century4. I wouldn't've learned of my grandfather's death, certainly not in time to make the memorial on what would've been his birthday.

So, nothing earth-shattering, but my life would've been that much poorer if I'd not stumbled onto h2g2.

*************************************************

Thanks, Lil!

Next time, we'll hear from daSilva.

The Venerable Researchers Archive

Amy

24.02.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1I don't know anyone in South America nor anyone stationed to Antarctica.2And east of the Rockies3...3Heck, east of Reno, Nevada!4Not that I've been doing a stellar job of keeping in touch lately, but at least I know how to find them, now.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87823623

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more