Liberation

0 Conversations

I held her hand and thought about how different my life was right now compared to how I had imagined it when I was younger.

I had thought that nobody would ever love me. I couldn't help being attracted to some of the people I met along the way, but given that I assumed the love would always be unrequited, my admiration for others was tempered with logic and rationality as far as I could make it.

Not only that, but I recognised that there was potential for pain if I put my trust in someone who was not at all interested in me, or if someone loved me, but to me they didn't mean so much. Even if it had happened that both I and another person seemed to feel the same way, there was huge risk that things still wouldn't work out and the result would still be heartache.

And then one night, at a works party, it was late and I went outside for some air. The sky was clear and I could see a few stars, even though the light from the windows behind me was quite bright. Suddenly I was joined by a dark-haired woman, looking amazing in a green evening dress. I remembered I had seen her before at work, and we had spoken a few times, but now the situation was decidedly different.

She asked me to dance, there on the patio - we could faintly hear the music from inside. Hardly believing that she was interested in me, but not seeing anyone else around, I agreed. She placed her hand on my tuxedo jacket and I placed my hand on her back, scared that she would change her mind and not want me to touch her, but instead she smiled and we held each other close.

As we danced, and I felt the closeness of her body and her love for me, all the fears and worries from my youth seemed to evaporate - right then, nothing else mattered except her and me.

Just one dance, and then it was almost midnight so we had to go back inside and make plans to go home as the party was ending. Gallantly, I offered to find her a taxi, and it turned out that we were needing to go in a similar direction, so we decided to travel together.

I was tired, but strangely full of energy after the surprisingly wonderful evening. My lady in green must also have been tired after the dancing, as she dozed off in the taxi as we made our way back home. Not hesitating for once, I pulled her gently towards me so her head rested on my shoulder as she slept.

When the taxi stopped at her house, she woke up straight away and hugged me before we climbed out. I walked her to her door and we resolved to meet again. We held hands just for a moment, then she went inside and I walked home in the moonlight.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87808297

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more