A Conversation for The Tennyson Trail

Peer Review: A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: The Tennyson Trail - A87878263
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

A walk from the centre of the Isle of Wight to the Island's westernmost point.

If you find yourself going 'Aaarrrgghhhhh! SPLASH!' you've gone too far...

<BB<


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - bookfor sometime this weekendsmiley - run


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

This sounds a lovely walk, with a lot of interesting things to see. smiley - smiley You have done a very thorough job of describing it.smiley - smiley

I was interested to read that, at Compton Down, the soil is described as 'acid', whereas much of the rest of the walk seems to be chalk. Is this sandstone? (We have similar patterns in Sussex.)

A couple of times you have put 'burrow' rather than 'barrow' - in the sentence beginning 'Soon you will pass by' and in the sentence beginning 'To reach the hill's summit'.


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 4

Bluebottle

Thanks for those points, I've changed the borrowed burrows to barrowssmiley - ta

You're right to question why a down (a chalky hill – which you would expect to be a touch alkaline) would be described as acidic. Although the down itself is chalk, the upper layer of the down is a gravelly, sandy soil. That is why the down itself is described as an acid grassland/heathland, although there are better examples of acid grassland and heathland elsewhere on the Island. There are also sandstone cliffs on the Island too, particularly in the area of the Undercliff, but the walk's all on chalk.

I've often wanted to spend more time seeing the Sussex downs and started planning to walk the South Downs Way with Peregrin. The Seven Sisters especially. (I don't feel an urgent need to cycle up Beacon Hill again, though).

<BB<


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

I see I measured my thumb and found it to be about the same size as yours smiley - ok, but didn't finish reading the Entry ...

You could put a link on Pooh Sticks smiley - biggrin

Ah, that's good that the forest is home to Red Squirrels smiley - ok

smiley - book Up to Strawberry Lane


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 6

Bluebottle

Pooh Sticks linked tosmiley - ta

Don't spend too long on Strawberry Lane - you may be stuck on Strawberry Lane Forever smiley - winkeyesmiley - strawberries

<BB<


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laughsmiley - strawberry

Excellent - I enjoyed that smiley - ok

My only wonder was when you go past the golf course, do you have to take care to stay on the path because otherwise you're trespassing on private land?

smiley - ok


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 8

Bluebottle

I thought I'd answered this - I'd even written the reply back on the 17th October, I just didn't post it.

What I had said (but didn't post) was:

'They don't seem to patrol it too tightly, but if you stray from the path there is a very real chance you will be hit by golf balls or, perhaps more likely, paragliders and microlights. You have been warned (or as it is a golf course, should that be 'fore-warned'?)'

<BB<


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 9

bobstafford

We need a Tennyson entry to link smiley - ok


A87878263 - The Tennyson Trail

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok Good tweak

Yes indeed a Tennyson Entry would be good, but I'm not volunteering as I don't know much about him, sadly...


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

Bluebottle

smiley - wowYay!

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

bobstafford

Well done smiley - laughsmiley - alesmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - applausesmiley - footprints

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - xmaspud


Key: Complain about this post