A Conversation for The Listener Crossword [Peer Review version]

Peer Review: A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 1

Icy North

Entry: The Listener Crossword - A87840264
Author: Icy North - U225620

Greetings, Peer Reviewers smiley - smiley

An entry for puzzle enthusiasts.

Comments, corrections and suggestions welcome.

smiley - cheers Icy


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

This sounds interesting, Icy. I'd never heard of this puzzle. You've presented it well.


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 3

You can call me TC

Most intriguing! Do we know who the setters are? Or, in case this is classified information, perhaps some of the original setters who are surely no longer alive?


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 4

Icy North

Thank both!

The setters generally hide behind their pseudonyms. I can write a sentence or two about them if you think it's interesting. I mention that they have an annual dinner.

There's a very large group of setters. There's a wait of about 2 years to have a submission published (it has to go through a quality process first), and they won't accept a submission if there's another pending publication (I think). This all means that you have to be pretty far-sighted if you compile a puzzle with a topical theme.

If you e-mail me at icy (underscore) north (at) hotmail (dot) com, I'll happily send you an example puzzle.

smiley - cheers Icy


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 5

Icy North

Any more comments on this one?

smiley - cheers Icy


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - book


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Icy.

I've had another read through this, and it is very good. I only spotted two places near the start where I can suggest improvements. Other than these, it is perfect.


"which has been variously described as the most fiendishly difficult crossword puzzle in the English language"

-- 'variously' means 'in several different ways' which suggests it has been described in a few different ways which you are going to state, but you only give one. I suggest removing the word 'variously'.

"the Listener Crossword is still going strong, confounding the brain of any who dares attempt it. Yet, that makes it no less popular."

-- these two sentences don't sit well together. It suggests that it is still going strong, but despite this is still popular.

smiley - oksmiley - booksmiley - galaxy


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

Bluebottle

Thanks for listening!

<BB<


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 10

Icy North

Thanks Gnomon.

It's in the hands of the sub-editor now.

For the first one I meant that it's been described as the most fiendish puzzle by different people in different ways. I'll try to find some other examples of the phrase 'variously described' to see if it's a correct usage.

I agree the second one could be better. I'd need to take out the word 'strong'. How about "the Listener Crossword is still going today..."

smiley - cheers Icy


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - ok

smiley - applausesmiley - bubbly


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 12

Icy North

A quick trawl of the phrase "variously described" shows some people use it who use it as I did, and others who use it as you would have expected, Gnomon. I'm happy for the sub-editor to take a call on it.


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

In that case I would be happy to leave it as you've written it. smiley - smiley


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 14

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! I have read the Entry now, and it is excellent indeed. I have seen the Listener, but never knew how to even begin to start it, so this has explained a lot smiley - ok

I know that euphoric feeling of completing a crossword, though - the first time I solved a Times Crossword was incredible, as I had previously spent weeks trying to crack them. Took me 8 days, though, never mind 8 minutes, but I did manage to complete a couple of others after that. I've not read the Times for a while, though - I have tried a few other crosswords since then, such as the Guardian, but not enough to learn their tricks.

smiley - cheers


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 15

Icy North

Thanks Sasha smiley - ok

I'm having a bit of a purple patch with the Listener - I've finished maybe 4 in the last 8.

No prizes yet, though.


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 16

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - smiley hi Icy

Would it be possible for you to take a photo or make a scan of such a crossword?


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 17

Icy North

Sure I can. I'll send one in when I get a moment.


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 18

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - ok thank you!


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 19

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I just came to make the same request (to ask about a photo) but see that Tav has already been in touch. Excellent - thank you!


Also, just wanted to let you know that the Entry only needed proof reading, so has been 'returned to Editors'


A87840264 - The Listener Crossword

Post 20

Icy North

I thought the usual process was for the Subs to add one or two deliberate mistakes first smiley - winkeye



(Sorry, forgot about the photo - I'll do it when I get home)


Key: Complain about this post