A Conversation for Getting a meal on the table on time

Peer Review: A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 1

You can call me TC

Entry: Getting a meal on the table on time - A87828150
Author: You can call me TC - U154942

This is something I could put together without much research, just a lot of hard thinking. I'm sure there'll be plenty of suggestions to add. I hope you can find something original.

I shall add links later. There are a lot of connections with A848612, for example.

Please feel free to condemn it as a Woman's magazine article, and I welcome any suggestions which will give it a more general appeal.


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

What a fantastic idea for an Entry - massive applause! smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin

Super useful advice, which I could have done with on more than one occasion...

The first time I ever followed a recipe, I did a stunning job of making sure everything was cooked and ready at exactly the same time, but then I didn't have enough hands to be able to drain and serve everything simultaneously... Now I am much more relaxed about timings, and it works much better, as I can serve one item while the other one is just finishing off smiley - ok

I made 2legs' bread rolls this week and didn't read the whole recipe through first, so I wondered why my dough was wetter than expected smiley - doh only to discover that the answer was in the next line of the Entry and I'd made a mistake... I salvaged it, but I'll know better next time!

I'll read the Entry through in more detail soon, and see if there is anything I can suggest to improve it, but you certainly covered my main bloopers already... smiley - ok


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 3

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

I agree with SashaQ. Eating is one of the few things in this world that is Universal. It is smiley - cool to know the French term for these pots you mentioned in your footnote but on this side of the pond they are referred to as double boilers.

I think this would be an excellent addition to the Guide! smiley - applause


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 4

Websailor

This is a brilliant article which would be so useful for people just starting out with entertaining, or wanting to impress the In -Laws. Even people used to cooking for a small family can find double the number to cater for a daunting task.

Well done, and no it is not a Woman's magazine article but essential advice, especially with so many generations now only capable of heating ready meals!

Websailor smiley - dragon


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 5

You can call me TC

I've added a couple more points to my lists and changed the rest to try and make it sound less patronising. Will add the term "double boiler" and some links next.


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 6

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

A very well thought-out entry. Clear and concise.

A couple of points, if I may.

Where you mention cooling saucepans in water with ice cubes. Be careful if the pans are bi-metallic. Saucepans are often steel with a copper base, which is not always readily apparent. This is to disperse the heat evenly, maintain the heat after removing from the job and to protect the saucepan base. Copper also heats quickly, but cools quicker too. Sudden rapid cooling can cause the base to contract faster than the main metal of the saucepan causing it to buckle or fall off completely. This is particularly the case with insxpensive pans that only have a thin copper base stick to the base of a stainless steel pan.

I've seen the above many times with customers returning pans, from my previous employment. Wet , and msrble or stone, counter-tops can have re same effect.
Copper bottoms enclosed in stainless steel appear to be les susceptible but can still warp.
If the pan has a good solid base, then you should be ok.

Rather than use the term tea-kettle, perhaps electric kettle may be more appropriate?

I'd also mention, after my escapade yesterday, of having a first aid kit/plasters close to hand, and a sharp objects in a safe place in case of accidents.

Nothing worse than suddenly realising you need an jmplement snd need to retrieve it from dirty washing up water and hashing your hand on a sharp knife.

Also, ensure all utensils are safe. No trailing wires, damaged glassware etc. I was preparing a meal which involved run sauce. It was in a saucepan with a faulty handle that rotated, due to being charred at the base due to inappropriate use on a gas hob. I knew this, but my guests didn't. Every so often one would help
by picking it up. The consequence? Half the contents ended up on the floor. This meant more ingredients, including rum were added. By the time it came to serve up, it was more rum than sauce. Luckily no-one was hurt but it could have been worse.

Clean up all spillages as you go. It is safer and will speed up the cleaning afterwards.

Allow time to have a breather of five minutes. A long prep time, then slaving over a hot stove can be tiring and there is nothing worse than a tetchy host at a dinner party. This is not permission to consume a bottle of Cab Sav Keith Floyd style.


Ultimately, enjoy the experience. Don't let it be a chore. Otherwise you may as well not bother. If background music helps, pre-select your style and choice before hand.

Just suggestions. Use or discard as you wish. Over my Student and early years flat-sharing, I've found most of the above help. Andy seven course pre-Christmas dinner involved nearly all the above.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 7

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Just remembered, re: bimetallic saucepans, I.e. ones that are stainless steel with an additional copper base.

I empty my contents into a plastic mixing bowl that has been in the iced water. It speeds up the cooling process, as copper dissipates heat sloly, and the plastic rarely distorts. It is usually easier to clean the cooled residue off as well, so a double bonus.

smiley - ok

MMF

smiley - musicalnote


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 8

You can call me TC

Great - yes, I'll add that about transferring stuff to a plastic bowl, although the aim should also be to be time- and work-saving by using as few pots, pans, and bowls as necessary. But in the case of expensive saucepans, that is necessary!


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 9

You can call me TC

I've advised getting some fresh air during a lull in the proceedings, so I think I've covered that one. Like the background music idea, and generally making it less of a chore.

Also accident-prevention smiley - facepalm of course! Great time-saver, too!


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 10

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Hopefully unnecessary, but it is said more accidents occur in the kitchen than anywhere else in the house.

So easy to get distracted.

Can remember my Dad carving meat and getting distracted, shortly after rearranging the freezer, so his fingers had frost-nip.

Wondered why the well-cooked meat was bleeding, and realised he was starting to carve his finger.

Might be advisable to suggest keeping guest visits to a minimum to prevent distractions/accidents etc.

Nothing worse than having a 'Greg Wallace' interrupting you even five minutes plus may upset prep, as well as thought processes, thus messing up the dish due to forgetting an ingredient or three.

*Greg Wallace is a presenter on Masterchef on the BBC, who has been told by budding chefs that they could get on better if he'd go away…

MMF

smiley - musicalnote


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 11

You can call me TC

Have done a few more tweaks. More suggestions welcome!

Will add links this evening.


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 12

You can call me TC

Have added a couple more details.


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 13

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Another trick I use is, when boiling vegetables, making stock etc. I boil the water in a kettle, pour into the saucepan, bring back to the boil, season them add the ingredients.

Heating up a cd pan and cold water takes ages whereas this way only takes 5, saving a great deal of time, and energy.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 14

You can call me TC

Now I've added a load of links. Had a great time trawling through the entries with related topics!


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 15

You can call me TC

Have also changed "tea-kettle" to "electric kettle". I did wonder about that at the time. Some people might still boil their water on the gas.


A87828150 - Getting a meal on the table on time

Post 16

You can call me TC

I've added a couple of small points, as suggested by paulh.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

You can call me TC

Oh wow - thanks. That was almost too fast! I was expecting a bit more input from others before going live.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Wow, congrats TC, time to get started on your next one-since this was so favourably received.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more