A Conversation for Participating in a Mass Run

Peer Review: A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 1

Pastey

Entry: Participating in a Mass Run - A87825261
Author: Pastey - U45177

A guide to things you need to know when you take part in an organised mass run, based on my experience of the Manchester 10k for the last five years, and talking to people that do longer runs.


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 2

Bluebottle

Excellent! I've not done a full proper run yet (I had planned to this year, but being hospitalised for other reasons got in the way) but I have cheered on the people doing the Eastleigh 10k over the last couple of years, and last weekend ran in the Eastleigh Under 9s 2K (guiding my 6-year-old son around the course).

Only things I'd consider adding:
Try to comprehend the messages announced on the PA system!

If you're there to cheer someone on and you have young children with you, the queues to the portaloos might be longer than the typical warning time parents get from their children that the toilet is desperately, urgently needed. If the start/finish line is in a field, it isn't the easiest place in the world to change a dirty nappy.

Did you want to mention that young children can participate in mass runs too? My 6 year old son did a 5k last year and a 2k this year. These tend to be off-road, round a park/field in the afternoon, after all the adult races have finished.

<BB<


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 3

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


Good stuff! I have my first official 10k on Easter Monday, though I've done a few 5k park runs.

A few suggestions:
1) I've been sent a race number to pin to my shirt which has next-of-kin/overnight stay/friends at the race contact details. I've got instructions to fill this in the night before... this strikes me as a great idea, is this common and is it worth mentioning?

2) Something I wondered about was the advisability of wearing headphones on the run - partly to listen to music, partly for timing. But my strong impression from reading other articles is that this is frowned on for safety/camaraderie reasons.

3) Warming down. Think the article touches on this, but does a bit more need to be said?

4) I wonder if it's worth differentiating between different types of mass runs. For example, when I've done parkrun there have never been more than 80-100 or so. The 10k I'm doing usually attracts 500+ but an obstacle run I went to seemed to have thousands over multiple waves. Some of the televised marathons look massive. Is it worth mentioning that numbers vary hugely, and you can often get a sense of size of the field by looking for the previous year's results?

5) I've read it's very bad form to wear the race commemorative t-shirt (if there is one) during the race itself. Presumably this is a tempting fate issue?

6) The running in traffic point is a really important point, and for me it was the biggest thing to get used to. But even in my 5k runs, the field got fairly spaced out by the end and I probably had 10m of path to myself. Judging by the finishing times in last year's 10k and my own target, I won't get that this time. Dunno if it's possible to emphasise this point any more than you have done, but my challenge is going to be pacing myself without my tech giving me kilometre splits and with other people around running faster/slower times.

Some Pedantry:
(Storing your stuff) "These areas are usually watched over by volunteers and are pretty sage" -> safe.
(Bodily fluids) "You're bladder will react to" -> Your

Overall, though... be great to see this in the guide. I found it useful smiley - smiley


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 4

Pastey

Good points, and ones I should definitely address! smiley - ok

And good luck with your 10k!


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 5

Pastey

Updates made smiley - smiley


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 6

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

An excellent entry - if I can approach a suitable level of fitness to attempt a decent length mass run, I shall take these into account smiley - smiley


Only one thing cropped out " head towards the middle of end of the table" (the fluids part) - middle of end? or maybe middle or end?

Nice entry smiley - cheers


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 7

Icy North

This entry was a pleasant surprise (I was expecting something about Catholics with diarrhoea).


smiley - runsmiley - space{These (storage areas) ... are pretty safe, but they're not secure}

I found that sentence confusing. If they're not secure, in what respect are they safe?


smiley - runsmiley - space{If you normally wear headphones when running to listen to music or timings, it's okay to wear them on the course}

I thought some running clubs and events banned these. If not, then it's not really something to be encouraged.


smiley - runsmiley - space{One very important thing to bear in mind when taking part in a mass run is DON'T OGLE. It's rude, uncalled for and unwelcome.}

Don't ogle *what*, exactly? This confused me.


smiley - runsmiley - spaceAny tips for running in a rhino costume, diving suit, etc?


smiley - cheers Icy


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 8

Beatrice

Nice work Pastey!
smiley - cheers
The earphones thing varies from race to race, so definitely check what the policy is. And if you're wearing them (I find they help to drown out that negative voice in my head telling me I cant do it), then make sure you pay attention to announcements and people around you. I lost 2 minutes in a race last week because I couldnt hear the marshalls shouting that I was going the wrong way!

Time chips - mine are usually a sort of button shape with gaps around the edges to allow them to be laced onto shoes. Remember that your chip time - the actual time it takes you to cover the course - will be shorter than the elapsed time, which is the big numbers you'll see as you cross the finish line.
smiley - footprints
Apps - if you're going to be using MapMyRun or Runkeeper, then do a trial session just before the race. Again, I've lost valuable seconds faffing around because the app has just been updated and it wants to show me its shiny new features, or because the GPS signal is weak.
smiley - geek
If it's your first race, you'll just want to finish. But if you have an idea of what time you hope to run it in, check if there are groups or starting positions, or even pace-setters, for that expected finish time.
smiley - towel
If someone is accompanying you, and wants to take photos or shout encouragement, agree where would be a good position for this, and give them some idea of when you'd expect to be there.
smiley - applause
The golden rule is to do NOTHING on race day that you havent done in training. This includes water or fuelling. Try a variety of things before hand, jelly beans, Gu pouches etc and see how you run while or shortly after drinking water. (I can't.) The trick with water cups is to pour out half, then pinch the top of the cup to form a spout.
smiley - empty
Lay out all your clothes the night before. Socks are Very Important.
smiley - zen
Check your running playlist, make sure it's got all your favourite motivational tracks on it. Make sure the device is fully charged.

smiley - musicalnote

Expect to feel an emotional reaction when you finish - I burst into tears after my first 10k, which took me by surprise.
smiley - wah
Have your favourite post run drink wiaitng for you - the thought of a chocolate milk or chilled latte can spur you on when your pace falters.
smiley - milk
Familiarise yourself with the route in advance, if you can. Ideally, run some of it on your training runs, or cycle it to get a feel for the elevation. If there are several runs happening at the same time, check where e.g. the 10k/ half marathon splits, and be on special look out and listening to ensure you go the right way.smiley - shrug


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 9

Bluebottle

Anyone sign up for the Sheffield Half Marathon? smiley - yikes
The organisers needed to read this, methinks...

<BB<


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 10

Pastey

They've been doing the Sheffield marathon for over 30 years now, without hitch as far as I remember.

The main problem they had, was communication. They really needed to let everyone know what was happening.

And I really can't believe that the all the supermarkets in Sheffield weren't able to supply enough water. Seriously, that would have been a *massive* publicity coup for any of the major supermarkets to step in and provide all the bottled water. They'd have it in their store, and they've got the delivery vans to move it around too.


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 11

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


I wonder if it's worth advising people who are doing their first mass run to see if there's a smaller, shorter event they can do to get used to at least part of the "race day" experience and in particular running in traffic?

Perhaps a little UK-centric to mention Parkrun, but I'm sure similar events exist elsewhere in the world...
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 12

Post Team

There are Park Runs outside of the UK too.

Though the "feel" of them is a little different, as is the organisation (barcodes vs time chips etc)


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 13

Pastey

Updates have been made smiley - smiley


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 14

Bluebottle

Today's the day that each year I think 'I really should do a mass run'.

I was wondering, what advice would you give someone reading this who is like me, who is thinking of dipping his toe in after enjoying the hype of televised marathons (known in America as 'Snickers', I believe), but hasn't so far?
(My current plan - do the Great South Mini Run in October (5k), then the Eastleigh 10k in the Spring and then possibly the full Great South Run next year).

<BB<


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 15

Beatrice

I think giving yourself a reasonable training period is a great start.

(This maybe isnt for the entry, which focusses on the day itslef, but I'll give my thoughts anyway)

5k is a very acheivable start. And a 10k 6 months later is a great next step. How long is the Great South Run?

I'd recommend using available training programmes - Hal Higdon is well respected - and following that.

Are there any medical aspects you should discuss with your doctor first?


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 16

Bluebottle

The Great South Run is 10 miles, so a reasonable progression from a 10k run. One step at a time, I think. smiley - smiley

<BB<


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 17

Beatrice

Sounds like a very doable staged set of targets- have fun!


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 18

Pastey

Things like finding runs, and then training for them is definitely a whole other entry. Or two.

I could write quite a bit about that too, but am sticking to this to start with smiley - winkeye Only five weeks until the Manchester 10k smiley - biggrinsmiley - run


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 19

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


Hi Bluebottle,

There's a 5k parkrun every Saturday in Eastleigh
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/eastleigh/


A87825261 - Participating in a Mass Run

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

Interesting and informative entry, Pastey.smiley - ok

I've only done a mass run twice, and each time it was in drag, as it was a women-only race. I'd say about 5% of the runners were men in drag. There were 40,000 competitors on a 10k course, so it was quite crowded. The winners had already crossed the finish line before my wave got to the start line.smiley - smiley

A few small tweaks:

I think you might have to explain the word "wave" the first time you use it.

In the "Finding your wave" section, you've a little repetition. In the paragraph starting "If neither of these...", you tell us the way the waves are organised, then you tell us the same thing in the next paragraph. Try and combine these.

"If you find that those at the side are running slower than you, then move in a bit." - avoid the use of the word "in" here, as some people use in to mean towards the side, while others mean towards the middle of the road. I'd suggest "then move a bit towards the centre of the road".

head towards the middle of end of the table -- I presume you mean "head towards the middle or the end of the table"

It seems to end rather abruptly. Could you add a sentence or two about perhaps starting your training for your next mass run?

smiley - smiley G


Key: Complain about this post