Austria - a virtual tour: Upper Austria

1 Conversation

Austria - a virtual tour:
Austria |
Vorarlberg |
Tyrol |
Salzburg |
Carinthia
Styria |
Upper Austria |
Lower Austria |
Vienna |
Burgenland


Oberösterreich


size: 12,000 km²

population: 1,417,000

capital: Linz


Upper Austria has a border to Germany and the Czech Republic and adjoins the Austrian states Salzburg, Styria and Lower Austria. Today's borders of Upper Austria are a result of WWI. Before that parts of the state belonged to Bavaria and in the middle ages a large area was part of Styria.


The Alps lie in the southern part of Upper Austria and it shares its highest mountain, the Dachstein, with Styria. Further to the north the landscape is rather hilly, until it reaches the Danube, which flows west to east from Bavaria to Lower Austria. To the north the terrain gets higher again. The highest temperatures can generally be found in the basin around Linz, while at the same time these lower regions along the Danube get less rain than the mountains in the south.


Dumplings are probably the favourite food of Upper Austrians, often they are filled with meat or fruits. There is also much meat like roast pork, smoked pork and sausages with sauerkraut and many cakes.


Partly squeezed between the neighbouring states Styria and Salzburg and reaching over their borders lies the beautiful Salzkammergut, a landscape of mountains and lakes and favourite holiday destination since the 19th Century. Even the emperor had a holiday home in the town Bad Ischl, which is still influenced by his presence. His large villa is a museum today. The Salzkammergut and the town Hallstatt in its south are a UNESCO World Heritage Site, also because of its cultural importance since pre-historic times where it gave name to the Hallstatt Culture. The salt which was mined in the mountains was important for the wealth of the area for a long time and old salt mines can still be found.


Austria's biggest forest reserve is the Nationalpark Kalkalpen, east of the Salzkammergut. Spruce, firs and beeches grow next to many other trees and a multitude of flowers in a landscape of canyons and narrow gorges. 200 km of natural strams and rivers are the habitat for uncountable water creatures and the forest is the home of rare animals like lynxes.


The area between the Styrian Erzberg in the south and the Danube in the north, across Upper Austria, Styria and Lower Austria, is known as 'Eisenwurzen', a region where iron was important since the middle ages. Many historic buildings of the iron industry can still be found. One ensemble that is still complete is the former scythe production Schmiedleiten, which is an open-air museum today.


One of the most important towns in the Eisenwurzen area is Steyr. Since the Middle Ages the iron industry has been the main income of the town and many buildings are still left from this period, especially the town square and small alleys with stairs up the hill give it a very picturesque look. Steyr was also a center of the early automobile industry. A museum shows the industrial life in the past and today.


The capital of Upper Austria and centre of Austria's iron industry today is Linz, which lies north of Steyr in a basin at the Danube. The industrial district of the steel factory takes up a large part of the city. The city square of Linz is one of the largest squares in Austria, one of its sides is open to the Danube and leads to a bridge, which makes it seem even larger. It is surrounded by historic buildings like the old city hall with its baroque facade. Across the bridge is the modern Ars Electronica museum for electronic arts, opposite to the contrmporary museum of arts. A short way upstram is the museum in the old palace of Linz. Music and theatre festivals take place in Linz every year.


Close to the border to Lower Austria lies the monastery Stift St Florian. The large baroque building has a very rich interior and a large old library. It is also the burial place of the composer Anton Bruckner who was born not far away and worked in the monastery for a decade.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87796002

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more