A Tribute To Gandalfstwin

1 Conversation

A Tribute to Gandalfstwin

News reached us earlier this week of the sad passing of Gandalfstwin on 17th January, 2013.

Gandalfstwin.

His widow, Tricia, managed to find a contact number and phoned Professor Animal Chaos with the sad news.

She apologised for her delay of informing GT's friends. She was very upset and traumatised at his loss, and only recently felt capable of looking through his personal address book and papers. GT was her main carer for so many years, despite him being disabled himself.

Gandalfstwin opened his account in 2009, but some may recall he used to be known as Gandalf, unfortunately, this character crossed the Italics of the BBC too many times in the messageboards and his account was closed, which is sad, as he had a number of Edited Guide Entries in that account. He came back quietly while Sam Semple was in charge and managed to keep himself out of trouble (well... Almost, except for a couple yikes'd posts when he and Pit got a little too comfortable in the Prof's bar at the Sportman's! smiley - ale).

Gandalfstwin in town.

Some reading here may know GT better from his Facebook account under Bernard Gilday. Those already notified have been shocked at his passing.

When it was found the BBC was 'disposing' of h2g2 Bernard was determined to attend the final London Meet in 2011. He enjoyed his time among the Researchers while he explored London. Not long after that meeting Bernard was diagnosed with incurable cancer. He managed to keep posting in h2g2 for as long as he could. At some time during December 2012 he was placed into a hospice, where he slipped away very peacefully in his sleep.

We extend our deepest condolences to Tricia, and hope she will feel some comfort in reading the following messages from GT's friends.

smiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rose

Having personally met Bernard via a visit to my home and found him to be a man of pleasant character, it was a pleasure once again, to meet someone who I talked with within hootoo and shall miss future conversations in hootoo with him.
Prof

smiley - candle

Oh dear. I met him in the 2011 h2g2 London Spring Meet.


I remember talking to him, but not understanding a lot of what he said.smiley - rose
Gnomon

smiley - candle

Oh dear. smiley - rose



I remember meeting him at the May 2011 London Meet.
Superfrenchie

smiley - candle

We met in a few threads over the years. He made some quite funny remarks. Sorry to hear he's gone at such a young age.
Pierce the Pirate

smiley - candle

RIP Gandalfstwin smiley - candle and condolences to his family smiley - angel
Galaxy Babe

smiley - candle

smiley - rose


Sleep long and well...

smiley - peacedove
Magwitch

smiley - candle

Mrs. GT I'm so sorry for your loss, you're in my thoughts and prayers.
V

smiley - candle

I can remember meeting him at the 2011 London Spring Meet. We were all waiting at Trafalgar Square and, I think I have this right, Gnomon said GT would meet up with us and, sure enough, he did as we headed off. Even better, he did better than me on the route I'd planned.



At our regular watering hole we had to divide to two separate alcoves, but he seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself.



GT, hunt out table 42 at the great table and look for your other friends who are waiting for us all, say hi to Douglas and tell him we are looking after hootoo for him.



Oh. And lest I forget, save me a seat, preferably one nearest the loo.



A real pleasure knowing you. smiley - cheers
MMF

smiley - candle

Me and GT (affectionate abbreviation) used to have some fabulous sparring matches in the QI Society threads.



It is a shame to think he is no longer with us, that I might look forward to those again.
Clive

smiley - candle

At the atelier, he often put his foot in his mouth but always apologized. By way of trying to explain himself he told us things about his early life, and it wasn't an easy or happy childhood.
smiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rose
Asteroid Lil

smiley - candle

Rest in peace, GT....

Also, best to the surviving family.
smiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rose
MadSnacker

smiley - candle

In loving Memory of GT, I will miss him dearly.



With sincere sympathy and heartfelt condolences.

smiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedove
TheThinker

smiley - candle

He shall be missed here and in the real world even more.



Lo, There Do I See My Father

Lo, There Do I See My Mother

My Sisters And My Brothers

Lo, There Do I See My People

Back To The Beginning

Lo, There Do They Call To Me

And Beg Me To Take My Place

In The Halls Of Valhalla

Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

smiley - alefarewell GT
bobstafford

smiley - candle

He was funny and sometimes a bit ranty, but who isn't? I'd noticed he hadn't come around anymore, a while back; sorry to hear he's gone. He'll be at Table 42, I expect. My condolences to Mrs. GT.
spaceechik

smiley - candle

I met him in various threads around h2g2, and at the 2011 h2g2 London meet. He seemed a bit shy, but we exchanged a few sentences. It is shocking and saddening that yet another h2g2 researcher died at such a young age. My condolences to his wife Tricia.
Bel

smiley - candle

I was sorry to hear of Gandalfstwin's passing. My thoughts are with his family. Bereavement is always so hard.

researcher5 aka Robbie Stamp

smiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedove
The Post Obits and Tributes Archive

Various Contributors

The h2g2 Community Editors

11.03.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87787156

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more