A Conversation for Seville Orange Marmalade

Peer Review: A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

Entry: Seville Orange Marmalade - A87879479
Author: minorvogonpoet - U3099090

A short but sweet entry (I hope) about marmalade.


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 2

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

A very good looking Entry and the instructions look clear, but I will leave technical comments to those who do more cooking than I.

One small point, you say that sour oranges came from China. Do we know where the sweet oranges came from? The fact that they were introduced to Portugal suggests either Africa or Brazil, but I would like to see this clarified if possible.

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

Thank you for your comments. smiley - smiley

I found the history of oranges confusing smiley - erm because it's not always clear if the writers are talking about sweet or sour varieties. They both probably originated in South East Asia or China, but the sour variety came to Europe earlier.


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 4

You can call me TC

I would appreciate a definition of marmalade as opposed to jam. It's so difficult to explain to foreigners who do not have this differentiation. (In German they use Marmelade - with an "e" - for all fruit preserves)

By the way, I strongly recommend reading the linked Entry on Marmalade - it's very well written and informative.


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Is it true that the Seville oranges are grown in Spain mainly for the English marmalade market?

I know that Greek still distinguishes between "naranja" which are the sour oranges and "portakilis" (from Portugal) which are the sweet ones.


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 6

minorvogonpoet

Oh this is a difficult question to answer! smiley - erm Wiki says jam usually contains the flesh of a fruit, whereas marmalade is made of the juice and peel of a citrus fruit. (This ignores the fact that the original marmalade was made of quinces.) It seems that marmalade is generally distinguished from jam by the inclusion of peel. I would also answer that, because marmalade is made of very sour fruit, it usually contains much more sugar than jam.


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 7

minorvogonpoet

According to https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sour_orange.html Seville oranges grow in a number of places round the world, and they are used for purposes other than marmalade. I think it's only in Britain that the marmalade is eaten!


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 8

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

A good Entry, everything seems clear to me. smiley - smiley
Unfortunately I get a rash from citrus fruit, especially the peel. smiley - laugh

As far as I know all citrus fruit originate in Asia.


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 9

minorvogonpoet

I'm sorry about the rash!

Yes, I think it's clear that citrus fruit came from Asia, but the varous pieces I've read differ whether the sour orange came from China or South East Asia, or even India. smiley - erm


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 10

Phoenician Trader

In much of the world sour oranges ripen in August. Or mid-winter anyway for them's parts.

More importantly, the biggest risk with marmalade is that the peel becomes rock hard. It isn't uncommon to soak it before cooking to ensure it is very soft. It is also easy to make it too big - what looks fine on the chopping board looks HUGE on a piece of toast.

The recipe I use preps the fruit the day before allowing long soaking in its fruit's juice. I haven't had hard peel since then.

smiley - lighthouse


A87879479 - Seville Orange Marmalade

Post 11

minorvogonpoet

Thanks Phoenician Trader.smiley - smiley

I have seen recipes which say you need to soak the fruit first. I've never had problems with hard peel, cooking the peel in a pressure cooker, with half the water in the recipe. I'm not sure what makes the peel go hard. smiley - erm


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Key: Complain about this post