A Conversation for 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Peer Review: A87845043 - 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: 'The American Astronaut' - the Film - A87845043
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

A film I saw over a decade ago as part of the Leeds Film Festival in the Hyde Park Picture House (an Edwardian cinema since 1914).

This article was written as part of Create's space theme.

<BB<


A87845043 - 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Hey, this is interesting. I've never heard of this film! smiley - biggrin

Who are the Billy Nayer Show? I see that you explain this - much later. Tell us as the beginning that it's a band. We ignorant people may never have heard of it. (Like me.)

Reading the opening, I feel that you are itching to get to the plot. But I'm not ready yet. I want to know WHY I should care. Tell me a little bit more in the hook - it doesn't have to be more than a sentence. Just say something like, 'Audiences today are used to science fiction with high production values and a broad, epic sweep. But this independent film shows...'

'...yet the film remains a triumph.' Nah, you can't say that. Say, 'the film remains a triumph of [exuberant storytelling, musical joie-de-vivre, whatever].' It's not just a 'triumph'.

'instead the unbridled and unenthusiastic expression of artistic creation evident throughout the film.' Er, did you mean 'enthusiastic'? 'Unenthusiastic' is funny, but I doubt that's what you meant. smiley - winkeye





A87845043 - 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Post 3

Bluebottle

Good points there, I've made changes as suggested.smiley - smiley

I'm not surprised you've not heard of the film - as far as I know this film's only publicity has been at film festivals and through word of mouth. As far as I know it has never been sold in shops or shown on television in the UK - the only reason I know it is because I saw the film, and a Billy Nayer Show performance, as part of the Leeds Film Festival a few years ago.

<BB<


A87845043 - 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I looked it up on Youtube - there are some clips, and it's impressive. smiley - smiley Enjoyable, as well.


A87845043 - 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

I like the sound of this film smiley - laughsmiley - blush Quite surreal...

I didn't understand the sentence about the case of a Girl.

You say the Boy is on Venus at one point where I think you mean Jupiter

There's a minor that I think should be miner.

An excellent review smiley - ok


A87845043 - 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Post 6

Bluebottle

The Real Live Girl is an embryonic/foetal clone* who has not yet been born and so isn't even a baby yet. As an artificially-created clone, she is carried in a suitcase that functions as her artificial womb. All the audience sees of inside the suitcase are bubbles, so I don't know how advanced she actually is, but I assume not very. Just developed enough to know that the clone will definitely be a girl, is real, and is alive.

Other changes made - you can't really have an old minorsmiley - winkeye

I also added a highly-informative section on how you too can dance just like Eddie.smiley - smiley

<BB<

*Who the girl is a clone of is one detail best left unsaid.


A87845043 - 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Just one question as I read this again - who made the special effect of the spaceship travelling through the atmosphere?


A87845043 - 'The American Astronaut' - the Film

Post 8

Bluebottle

To be honest, I don't know - just an outside effects company. It is visible for less than a second and all you see is a vapour trail, not the spaceship itself. It doesn't play a prominent part in the film.

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applausesmiley - rocket


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - applausesmiley - tekcor


Key: Complain about this post