A Conversation for John Muir: Conservationist

Peer Review: A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 1

Elentari

Entry: John Muir: Conservationist - A87827043
Author: Elentari - U202814

I haven't written an entry for a while and don't seem to be able to get it to go into Guide ML - help, please? smiley - yikes

It needs some more links and I need to have a re-read but I just wanted to get it up for now.

smiley - smiley


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Elentari. I can help you get this into GuideML. 1. You'll have to edit it using the traditional skins: Alabaster, Brunel or Classic Goo. Don't edit it at any stage using the Pliny editor, as this still has a few problems. I'll write the GuideML tags here with square brackets, but you need to use angle brackets (less than and greater than). Unfortunately, those would make this post display oddly in Pliny, so I'll use the square ones here. 2. You'll need [GUIDE] and [BODY] at the start and [/BODY] and [/GUIDE] at the end. These _must_ be in upper case. 3. You'll need double quotes around the urls in the link statements: [LINK HREF="http://etc.etc/etc"]text[/LINK] 4. The paragraph that starts with "In 1892" incorrectly ends with a [/HEADER] when it should be [/P]. Everything else looks OK.


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 3

Elentari

Thanks Gnomon! I didn't realise you couldn't do the Guide ML in Pliny, it's sorted now. smiley - smiley


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

You can do GuideML in Pliny, but it's a bit unpredictable. Best keep away from it until Pastey has it sorted.


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 5

minorvogonpoet

This is a useful article about an inspirational man.smiley - smiley

I wondered why Muir went to California if he had no previous ties there. I also wondered where and how he met his wife.


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 6

Elentari

I don't think I came across any explanation for either of those events, but I'll do some more digging.

Thanks!


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 7

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I think you picked a very interesting topic for this Entry.
smiley - smiley A good addition to the Guide.


To do Guide ML in Pliny you have to use the 'sourcecode' button. But it only works properly with Entries which have already saved before, closed and re-opened. If you know what I mean.

'The following year, 1861, he went to university at the University of Wisconsin, where he studied for about two and a half years.'
What did he study? Did he get any degree in that short time?

'He wrote a number of newspaper articles about Yosemite in these years and was even visited by the poet Ralph Waldo Emerson! He also persuaded President Roosevelt to go camping with him for three days!'
My personal taste says replace the ! with a normal fullstop, but others may disagree. I've also never heard of Ralph Waldo Emerson I'm afraid.

Was Yosemite NP the first in the USA or were there others before that?

'It is a fitting legacy, and one which made Muir very happy during his lifetime, that a large wood of giant redwoods bears his name.'
I guess there are people who don't know what redwoods are. You could link to A46273430

You could link to Entries about US National Parks. We have a few. We also have Entries about other places you mention. Don't we have an Entry about Yosemite? The search doesn't seem to come up with one. We should have one...

By the way, I think this is a photo of the Muir Glacier (made by my dad): A259003
But I'm not 100% sure anymore if it is.


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 8

Superfrenchie

Very interesting read, I knew nothing about the man. smiley - ok

smiley - orib I'll second what Tav said for the exclamation marks.
smiley - orib And about that sentence, I'm also wondering about the dates: was Roosevelt already President when he went camping with Muir? Or was he "the future President Roosevelt"?

smiley - oribI think perhaps it would be less confusing for the reader if you gave Roosevelt's first name when you first mention him?
I do know the dates make it pretty obvious, and you've given his first name near the end of the Entry, but I had to pause and think before I got to the end.

I think I spotted a typo somewhere too... Let me check...
Ah. There it is, end of the "early life" paragraph
smiley - orib "When he recovered, Muir set of an a 1000 mile walk to Florida, before sailing to California the following year"
He set off.


And I didn't know what redwoods were. smiley - ok


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 9

Elentari

Thanks for the comments, I'll have a look in the next few days. smiley - smiley


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I think you are assuming we know what Yosemite is. Perhaps you should say "Yosemite, a mountainous wilderness in the east of California".


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 11

Elentari

Good point, yes.

I haven't forgotten about these amendments but I have been rather busy of late! Should be able to get to them over Easter.


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 12

Elentari

Thanks all. I've made what changes I can, but I can't find anything which says why he went to California or what he studied at university.

Unfortunately we don't have a Yosemite entry - maybe that can be my next project. I've only been once, for a day, but it is the most incredible place I've ever been.


A87827043 - John Muir: Conservationist

Post 13

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I've been to Yosemite for a few days when I was a child. I still remember a walk we did through a quite foggy forest and there were lots of impressively yellow lichen, I even took one home. Should still have it in my old room at my parents' house. smiley - laugh


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Congratulations!smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - applause Well done! smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

Elentari

Thanks! smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Elentari

For the sub-ed - I have some photos of Yosemite which could be used if needed: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elentari86/sets/72157633311080263/


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Superfrenchie

smiley - bubbly Congrats !


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

These are great photos, Elentari!
Would it be ok for you if we take one of yours and also add a historic photo of Muir himself? ( http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/ggbain.06861/ )
Is there a specific one of yours which you prefer?


Key: Complain about this post