I Couldn't Care Less: I'm Always Alright

1 Conversation

A hypodermic needle and a vial

I'm Always Alright

Did I ever mention that I like Doctor Who? No? Remind me to tell you all about it sometime. Anyway, you don't need to know much for this particular brief allusion to a 10th Doctor Story called The Girl in the Fireplace. At the end of the drama, The Doctor is somewhat emotionally drained and his friend Rose asks him if he's alright. 'I'm always alright' replies The Doctor. He is, needless to say, lying.


A few years ago my wife and I had a couple of friends round for dinner. In the fashion of our dinner parties, one of them had broken down in tears and was starting to talk openly about her abusive former relationship. In order better to empathise with her our other guest told her not to worry because we all have traumas and it's fine to get upset. He, as he pointed out, was alcoholic. He's not any more. Raven chipped in with her health condition and her child abuse trauma. I…. had nothing. I opened another bottle of wine and resigned myself to not getting a proper night's sleep.


More recently I ran into another mutual friend. She had a tough year last year, what with illness and death amongst her friends and family, and health problems of her own. Her colleague had also been nastily unwell of late. I told her about my wife's fall and the theory that it was her heart. She made sympathetic noises and asked how I was, which was a nice change. I told her I was fine. She laughed cheerily. 'You're always fine, aren't you?'


It has to be said I usually am. I don't get ill very often and I've never had anything like a serious illness in my life. I've convalesced from minor surgery (I had a rhinoplasty1 and a vasectomy) but that's about it, apart from migraines and the odd bug. But the truth, of course, is that as a carer there is extra pressure on me. I get tired a lot. I have stiff muscles and sore joints and I don't always sleep that well. I worry a lot and get quite stressed. A lot of carers are a lot younger or a lot older than me, and they do have illnesses or maladies of their own. For them, the pressure of care must be intense.

Funny how fate conspires against you, isn't it? I didn't have a nice, neat, ending for this piece. This piece about how, even though I don't get ill, I do need a break. Then I got ill. So I have been… well let us just say keeping very little down over the last 24 hours. But now it's deadline day. And I need to tell you about how I have been unwell and the impact that has made (because I think it matters, not just because I am self-important, although I clearly am self-important) and I need to give you a whole explanation of what I was going to say next and… and… I don't have the time. But I do have one thing left, a last card to play. Rule number 408. Time is not the boss of you2. So I shall be back with some, but not all, of those things, in the blink of an eye.

smiley - TARDIS

Articles by benjaminpmoore Archive

benjaminpmoore

21.01.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1You can read all about that, if you feel the need here and there.2It's a quote. Guess.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87782944

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more