A Conversation for Tolkien's Elves - PR Version

Peer Review: A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: Tolkien's Elves - A87863052
Author: Gnomon - U151503

Another one of my entries about Tolkien's world. The Guide has entries on Elvish and on one notable Elf, Elrond, but nothing about Elves in general.


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 2

Bluebottle

I've very much enjoyed reading through this.smiley - smiley

Other than wondering whether Beleg or Celeborn would be notable enough to warrant a mention (but you can't mention everyone) the only thing I've got to suggest is perhaps add a link to: A655508 The Lord of the Rings - the Animated Adventure

<BB<


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks Bluebottle. I've added a link to the Bakshi movie.


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 4

Bluebottle

I've read through again – it is still very enjoyable.smiley - smiley
So, are you going to write articles on 'How to Pronounce Quenya' and 'How to Pronounce Sindarin'?smiley - winkeye

<BB<


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 5

Bluebottle

Still an enjoyable entry!

I've vague memories of there being an elf that fought, and defeated, a Balrog riding a dragon (possibly at Gondolin?) Who was that – or am I imagining things?

Did you want to have a footnote explaining 'werewolves' here, like you do in the Sauron entry?

I did wonder if it was worth mentioning regarding Elves' possible resurrection, one character, Gandalf, does come back from the dead - as a fully-grown adult with memories. Admittedly Gandalf is a Maiar and not an Elf, so although it is possible that Tolkien had something similar in mind for Elves, it doesn't actually prove anything.

<BB<


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added a footnote about the werewolves.

Gandalf was indeed a Maia, and his resurrection appears to have been back into the body that had died. Another Maia, Sauron, managed to be killed and resurrected at least twice but there's no suggestion that he came back to the same body. So there isn't even any consistency about coming back within the Maiar. I don't think we can draw any conclusions about Elf rebirth from these examples.

There was a fight between an elf (Ecthelion) and a balrog (Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs) at Gondolin, but I don't think there was much detail other than that it had happened. I know there is a work called 'The Fall of Gondolin' which was one of Tolkien's earliest works and was published by his son in the 12-volume history of the writing of the books, but I haven't read it. Perhaps it describes the balrog as being on a dragon. Since I know so little about it, I don't think I'll mention it.


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 7

Bluebottle

I've had another read through. I still think the picture looks more like someone in a boy band than an Elf with long, straight hair...

archtypal – archetypal

You could mention a bit more about the Elves who head west during the third age. For instance, are they Elves descended from the Noldor and exempt from the ban placed on their ancestors, or are they Silvan Elves arriving in Valinor much, much later than the other Elves, or both?

<BB<


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

The picture was made long ago for an entry on Elvish (A882236). It is entirely up to the Eds and h2g2 Artists group whether they decide to use it here or provide an alternative picture. I haven't any photos of elves to contribute.

I'll think about the elves heading west in the Third Age...


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 9

Bluebottle

I'll think about the Elves heading West too - and am holding a minute's silence in their honour.






smiley - candle






The Elves shall grow not old, as we that are Men grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the Creation of the Sun and as they sail unto the West
We will remember them.

<BB<


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes, I haven't put in anything about the great sadness and weariness of the elves by the time of The Lord of the Rings. I might add a paragraph about that to the Elves in the Third Age section.

smiley - run


A87863052 - Tolkien's Elves

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added some short paragraphs to the beginning of the sections:

Notable Elves in and before the First Age
Notable Elves in the Third Age

I think the second of these covers the issue of the Elves sailing west and leaving Middle-earth.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

Bluebottle

smiley - applauseSeeing this being picked must do wonders for your elf-confidencesmiley - winkeye

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Yay!

smiley - redwine


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

bobstafford

smiley - cheers Very well done


Key: Complain about this post