A Conversation for The Super Mario Games Series

Peer Review: A87880729 - UPDATE: The Super Mario Games Series

Post 1

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Entry: UPDATE: The Super Mario Games Series - A87880729
Author: Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor - U1314679

The 2nd part of my updates ( A87880693 ).

I tried to keep it as short as possible, but there is such a large number of games. That's also why I left out all of the spin-offs which are mentioned in the original Entry ( A3346995 ). I put all games which are not part of the main series into two separate Entries which I may or may not finish some day.


A87880729 - The Super Mario Games Series

Post 2

Bluebottle

As one rather long entry is going to be Updated and split into two entries, it makes sense for the other entry (Part 1) to be treated as the Update and this entry to go through Peer Review as normal.

I'm not going to worry too much about spelling and grammar in this entry as it can be picked up by the Sub.

That said, the first paragraph does seem to say 'game' (including in "gameplay") a lot:
"For over 30 years the Super Mario games have set a standard for the whole genre of jump and run games. Through all this time gameplay, story and characters have essentially stayed the same and still every new game is still a new challenge."
Maybe change 'Super Mario Games' to 'Super Mario series'?
'and still every new game is still a new challenge' – maybe change to 'and still every new release remains an enjoyable challenge' to avoid the repetition of 'still new'?

"small number of buttons for the direction in which Mario runs, jumping and maybe one other action."
- Would 'small number of controls for the direction…' be better? A joystick isn't really a button.

Are you looking for a title for your last 'Header'? You could consider 'Legacy' as that summarises what you are saying, although feel free to use something better.

You might consider links to the following:
A996979 - Console Wars of the Second Generation
A692769 - Donkey Kong - the Classic Arcade Game
A322354 - Nintendo 64 - the Gaming Console
A3768915 - The 1980s - Technology

As we know that Part 1 will be the Update version and replace the current entry, you could add a link header at the top (I also believe in having it at the bottom, so that when a reader has read the entry they can see that there are more entries in the series and so click onto the next link, rather than just close the window).

So my suggestion would be that you could include something like this:


The Super Mario Brothers
The Super Mario Games Series | Mario Kart - the Video Game Series

(Feel free to ignore me).

I do think that your excellent Mario Kart entry deserves to be included too and many readers will expect to see it mentioned.

<BB<


A87880729 - The Super Mario Games Series

Post 3

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Thanks a lot, I reworded things as you said, still have to put in the links.smiley - smiley


A87880729 - The Super Mario Games Series

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

An excellent roundup of games smiley - ok

I noticed there are a lot of games in the original Entry that aren't included here, too, so you could perhaps say something about how the games in this Entry form the main series, and you can then reference other Entries when they're ready.

"The game starts with a very family friendly level of difficulty, but after encountering Bowser for the first time things really start to get interesting."

I like your way with words! smiley - laughsmiley - ok


A87880729 - The Super Mario Games Series

Post 5

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Thank you! smiley - smiley

I added another short paragraph at the bottom and also some links.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Congratulations! smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Thank you! smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

Bluebottle

smiley - applauseWell done!
Thread read

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post