A Conversation for The Pig War of 1859

Peer Review: A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 1

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Entry: The Pig War of 1859 - A87883933
Author: Florida Sailor -2017, let us all hope for the best! - U235886

I have been intending to offer this for Peer Review, I hope you all find this at least a little interesting.

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 2

Bluebottle

A very enjoyable entry! Am I correct in thinking that there were no human casualties in this conflict and the only shot fired was the one that resulted in the pig joining the heavenly choir? smiley - flyingpig

<BB<


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 3

You can call me TC

Looks like San Juan was a cushy posting during the Civil War!


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 4

Bluebottle

Yep, just don't eat a bacon sandwich & chips!smiley - yikes

<BB<


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 5

minorvogonpoet

This is very interesting smiley - smiley and the conversation between Griffin and Cutler is very funny smiley - rofl. It's perfectly true that, as they say, all history is local.

However, being an ignorant British reader, I needed a map to make sense of the story.smiley - doh

I wondered if you need to say, right at the beginning, where the farm at the centre of the incident was.

You might also need a note to explain the Lewis and Clark expedition.

In the sentence beginning 'The Rosario Straight lay to the east' perhaps you need to add 'the San Juan Islands'


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 6

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

>Am I correct in thinking that there were no human casualties in this conflict and the only shot fired was the one that resulted in the pig joining the heavenly choir?

<BB<

Added a sentence to the conclusion to this effect. As the 'war' took place in the mid 19th century, I am not certain nobody died from disease even though it is a fairly healthy climate.

TC;

> Looks like San Juan was a cushy posting during the Civil War!

We would certainly look at it that way to us, but many of the soldiers of the time were seeking fame and glory . They probably resented being posted to an isolated outpost far from the action. Remember that most of the young think they are immune to harm.

I a sure Pickett wished he was still there after Gettysburg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickett%27s_Charge

Forgive the W*$%* link. It has been reported that at the end of the day General Lee saw Pickett wandering alone in a daze.
Lee asked him why he was not with his division?

Pickett replied 'Sir, my division are laying dead on the field - by your orders'.

This is the story that I do not want to take over this Entrysmiley - smiley


minorvogonpoet;

>This is very interesting smiley - smiley and the conversation between Griffin and Cutler is very funny smiley - rofl .

I almost left that part out, as there is no historical evidence that those words were actually spoken, however they are a part of the story that has been handed down to us. I a sure they both intended their words to be quite serious.

>However, being an ignorant British reader, I needed a map to make sense of the story.doh

I hope we can find a public domain map when this is picked. There are several on the Inteweb http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVzSVGIBY0HMAHy1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=San+Juan+Islands&fr=tightropetb&fr2=piv-web#id=1&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fe%2Fe1%2FSan_Juan_Islands_map.png&action=click




>I wondered if you need to say, right at the beginning, where the farm at the centre of the incident was.

I am not sure if we need say more than it was an easy pig's stroll from the Hudson's Bay property (I call it a farm, but it was primarily a sheep ranch (the pigs were only Giffin's hobby).

Part of the problem is probably that not only is the entire group known as the San Juan Islands, but one of the larger islands is also known as San Juan Island by itself. I added a list of the islands accessible today.


>You might also need a note to explain the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Good point, footnote added

>In the sentence beginning 'The Rosario Straight lay to the east' perhaps you need to add 'the San Juan Islands'

Added 'San Juan' to islands. I was trying not to say San Juan too many times smiley - erm


smiley - popcorn The real point is the original treaty specified 'the channel dividing the continent and Vancouver Island.' The big question was if the San Juan Islands were a part of the continent (they do lie below the 49th parallel) or not. But that goes a bit beyond the scope of this Entry.

Thank you all for reading and your thoughtful commentsmiley - biggrin

F smiley - dolphin S


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 7

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Very funny. smiley - laugh This was really a much quieter affair than the War of Jenkins' Ear.

I think there's a stray phrase in there: a supernumerary 'by President Jefferson.'

Is there a reason why 'Straights of Georgia' is spelled like that, rather than the more conventional 'Straits of Georgia'? (I think it's probably 'straits'.)


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 8

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I think we need a good Entry on the French and Indian Wars. Most Americans only know of the last one, and I doubt any of the other researchers have even herd of that one. The only Edited Entry I see is A12578682 , which is an early entry in need of an update as we have at least a few Entries that should be linked.

As I recall we had 'The War of Jenkin's Ear', 'The War of the Spanish Succession', 'Queen Anne's War' and 'King George's' War (I think I have them in the right order, but I will check)

Yes I am volunteering to take the wars on, and will consider the update. It is late here, and it is a w@$k night - will address your other comments tomorrow.



F smiley - dolphin S


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 9

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

On second look that one has not even been edited smiley - facepalm

F smiley - dolphin S


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 10

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Okay, but remember - if you are too partisan, I will stir up controversy. smiley - winkeye There ARE multiple points of view on that messy conflict. Even about the question of 'who won?'


A87883933 - The Pig War of 1859

Post 11

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Changes made;

The one was an orphan fragment that escaped from my footnote.

Looking at the map I posted in the comments clarified the spelling of strait.

smiley - ta

F smiley - dolphin S


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

smiley - applausesmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - drumroll Good deal!


Key: Complain about this post