Freebie Film Tip #13: An Hour (Not Wasted) with Tom Lehrer

1 Conversation

Freebie Film Tip #13: An Hour (Not Wasted) with Tom Lehrer

Tom Lehrer.

Today's tip features a maths lecture by Tom Lehrer in 1997. Hear him say, 'I suppose when people think of Harvard and mathematics these days, they think of Ted Kozinski.' Snork. This musical lecture was given on the occasion of Irving "Kaps" Kaplansky's 80th Birthday Celebration. What a way to remember your professor.

'MIT didn't have a sociology department – they hadn't sunk that low.'

Most people probably don't think of Tom Lehrer and maths first, although he WAS first and foremost a mathematician. More likely, we remember him for such political satire as 'We'll All Go Together When We Go', which is here, briefly, danced to.

You might, however, remember Lehrer's great contribution to science and mnemonics, which involves singing the Periodic Table to the tune of 'Model of a Modern Major General'. Here is the Lego version.

Lehrer's music will never die, not while serious musicians possess a sense of humour. An old favourite of mine, Lehrer's 'Irish Ballad', is here given a suitably high-class treatment by mezzo soprano Ann Murray.

He's snarky, he's musical, he's intellectual. And I remember visiting people's dorm rooms at uni to listen to him on a turntable. Nice to know they're still listening.

Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87777238

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more