How to Curry Vegetables

1 Conversation



This is not a recipe for curry, this is a set of instructions outlining a method of cooking. You probably already know how to to bake, boil or fry vegetables: this recipe will teach you how to curry them. This is just one method of making curry which uses tomatos as the base of the sauce.
Making curry isn't an exact science, it's just a matter of trial and error. One of the most satisfying things is making it just the way you like it. Nothing in this recipe is exact including amounts.


Basic curry, tomato based style


This is a basic method, as you get more comfortable with it you will adapt it to your tastes.


Essential Ingredients


  • Half onion per person, or more if you want.


  • One tin of tomatoes per person (chopped)


Variable Ingredients


One or more from each of…

  • Carb and protein There's plenty you can use: potatoes, first par boiled then cut into small cubes; chick peas; kidney beans; lentils; or any other sort of beans apart from baked ones. It's quicker to buy the tinned ones because they don't need soaking the night before.

  • Main vegetables. You'lll need at least two of: spinach, (tinned is easiest, but you can use fresh), mushrooms, carrots, whatever. Paneer, an Indian style of cheese is a gorgeous choice to use as well. Although it's sometimes translated into English as 'Cottage Cheese' or 'Feta' you can't substitute any other sorts of cheese it just won't work. Paneer is the only cheese that doesn't melt, and adsorbs spices..

  • Spices: about four tablespoons of dried spice, the type you choose depends on what sort of curry you make, you can get 'Curry Powder' or 'Tikka flavouring' or use the individual sorts of spice. A basic curry could use two tablespoons of Curry powder, one of cumin and one of chilli powder, but experiment with whatever you want. Turmeric makes things go yellow so is nice if you are using potatoes or white vegetables, such as cauliflower. Alternatively you can use curry paste in which case the jar will tell you how much to use.


Method


  1. Find a clean pan, if this fails wash up a pan, the largest one you've got.


  2. If you are going to eat your curry with rice, and are using a brand that isn't easy cook, then put that on the back burner and keep an eye on the time.


  3. Add a splosh of oil to the pan, enough to cover the base. Heat a little and and add onions, garlic and any other fresh veg that takes a while to cook.


  4. Wait until onions are soft then add dried spices if you are using them. It's essential to make sure all the spice is covered in oil, keep stirring until it starts to bubble a bit. Burnt spice is a bugger to clean of the bottom of a pan.


  5. Add carbs, stir until the spices cover all the carb.


  6. Add any other vegetables you are using, either tinned ones, or fresh ones that cook quickly, such as mushrooms or spinach.


  7. Add tinned tomatoes, including the liquid, there should be enough liquid to just cover all the contents of the pan. If there isn't then make up some stock and add it.


  8. Cover and go and look at h2g2, stir every five minutes or so until cooked. Leave it on the lowest heat you can. This needs to cook slowly. If all the liquid boils away then add more (I keep a jug of stock next to the cooker whilst I'm doing this). If you are using curry paste then the spices are pre cooked, so all you have to worry about is cooking the veg. If you are using dried spices there is a potential screw-up moment, you have to make sure that the spices are cooked as well. Keep tasting to see if it's done. Uncooked spices taste gritty and not flavourful. It's pretty darn impossible to over cook but if you run out of liquid then it will get stuck to your pan. I find that this last stage takes about 20 minutes with dried spices.


  9. Eat. Either with rice (you were keeping an eye on it as you went weren't you?) or naan bread, or jacket potato, or on it's own, or in a toastie, or with normal bread, or pitta bread, or rolls or in a sandwich.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87772413

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more