A Conversation for H2G2 Leaving The BBC Soon!

I need help!

Post 1

bcheetah

I am not sure who I can call to request help.... but I am really (U787812) Black Cheetah: The Veggie Black Cat. ( I wrote the article on Western Sahara a few years back, if you are trying to find me...).

I was trying to reactivate my account, but I dont even know my username and password. Any ideas, before my space gets deleted at the end of the month?

Regards,
Bcheetah


I need help!

Post 2

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I'd suggest you log in with your e-mail address instead of your username. The username box will accept either the username or an e-mail.

There's also an "I forgot my password" option somewhere on the login page.

The new site will have a new login system, and you might be able to recover your account there (I think you won't be able to if you've forgotten your e-mail address, but don't quote me on that).

TRiG.smiley - geek


I need help!

Post 3

Baron Grim

>>I think you won't be able to if you've forgotten your e-mail address...<< - TRiG Ireland

smiley - tongueout

I couldn't resist. But if a user has forgotten hir password, login AND email address, That doesn't leave us much to work with.


I need help!

Post 4

8584330

Contact h2g2move AT bbc.co.uk and see if they can help.


I need help!

Post 5

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

If the user knows zir user number, the editors can send them an e-mail. They may have forgotten which e-mail address they used to sign up with, but they'll quite likely still receive the reminder e-mail (I have three primary e-mail addresses, all of which arrive in the same inbox). However, due to privacy concerns, the e-mail addresses are not being passed on to the new owners. Instead, the new owners will receive hashes of the e-mails. A hash is a form of one-way encryption. The first time you try to sign into the new site, the e-mail address you use will be hashed and compared with the list of hashes to pull out your user id.

TRiG.smiley - geek


I need help!

Post 6

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

All of which means that, after the move, if you've forgotten your e-mail address you're probably stuck. I think. I could be wrong.

TRiG.smiley - geek


I need help!

Post 7

Baron Grim

Sorry, I was assuming that if one lost or has forgotten an email address that means that it's no longer a valid email address. I'm just a bit amazed that I've had the same ISP and email address for over a decade now. This is mainly due to a lack of competition in my area, unfortunately.


I need help!

Post 8

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

TRiG - are you signed up as a Guru on noesis? There is information there about the No Researcher Left Behind - specially to re-unite people with the accounts they have lost the log in details for.


The bottom line is that our wizard technical team will do all in their power to ensure that no-one gets left behind. Watch for announcements from the Committee.


I need help!

Post 9

bcheetah

I am pretty sure that I had the same email address as before. I checked my email box and I do see the emails I have gotten about my articles being published addressed to my proper email address. But alas, that doesnt seem to work....ah well. At least I am back on. I just wish somebody could login to my old space, and put a link onto my new space...

I hope I dont loose all my links!


I need help!

Post 10

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I'm not on Noesis at all. I probably should be, but I find it hard to keep up with stuff.

TRiG.smiley - surfer


I need help!

Post 11

8584330

Please have a look at the No Researcher Left Behind entry: A86322828


I need help!

Post 12

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Thanks Happy Nerd!

Trig - we need you over in noesis - I believe also that you're a Curator and a prospective sub-editor? But seriously,in the short term, Pastey needs a few people to help test the new site.

smiley - grovel


Key: Complain about this post