H2G2 Researcher Code - Version 1.0

14 Conversations

Version 1.0 of the H2G2 Code is now obsolete! Find the latest version of the code here.

As you may be aware, several imitations of the PGP Code block have cropped up for various circles of users, the most famous being the Geek Code, used by a multitude of very sad people as signatures for their emails. So, of course, it was decided that it was about time we had a H2G2 Researcher code block. Feel free to use this in your Personal Space, email signatures or whatever else you see fit.

Notation

The H2G2 code block begins as follows:

----BEGIN H2G2 CODE BLOCK----

And likewise, ends:

-----END H2G2 CODE BLOCK-----

To avoid confusion, the Version Number of the code should be placed immediately after the first line.

Each category, placed between the version number and end, is designated by a letter, or a pair of letters, followed by a modifier, in the form of multiple plus or minus signs. Each modifier is well defined within the terms of the category (see below).

In addition, the following modifiers can be used:

'@': This category is variable. For example, someone who loved the original 'Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy' book, but didn't like 'Restaurant At The End Of The Universe' as much, may describe themselves as: B++@

'()': Used for special instances of variability. Someone who loved all the Hitchhikers books, but still thinks Terry Pratchett is better, may use: B++(-)

'$': Indicates that the user gets paid1 in connection with this category. An italic would describe themself as: RGB$

'>': Indicates aspiration. Therefore a normal nighthoover devotee, who aspires to actually become nighthoover him/herself, would use nh+>+++

'?': Hasn't got a clue about the subject in hand. Someone who described themselves as T? would (thankfully) not know who the Thingites were.

Each category (+modifier) in the code is separated by a single space.

The Categories

Location


RGB

I am a British Researcher

RA

I am an American Researcher

RD

I am a Dutch Researcher

RS

I am a Scandinavian Researcher

RE

I am a European Researcher (and not specifically listed above)

RAu

I am an Australian Researcher

RO

I am a Researcher elsewhere

Skin


SA+

That lovely pale white background just fills me with peace.

SA

I am an Alabaster user.

SA-

I use Alabaster to avoid getting caught on h2g2 at work, but don't particularly like it.

SB++

I am the BBC design team

SB+

As a gadget maniac, I wouldn't dream of switching from Brunel.

SB

I am a Brunel user.

SG+

BLUE IS GOO! GOO IS BLUE!

SG

I am a Goo user.

Combinations are quite permissible within this category. For example 'SA-G' would indicate a user of both Alabaster (necessarily at work) and Goo.

The Hitchhikers Books


B+++

I have memorised every word of the trilogy, can recite Vogon poetry by heart, and can not only remember Trillian's Earth telephone number, but have tried ringing it.

B++

The h2g2 books are some of the best books I know. Normally I just chuckle when reading something funny, but here I died a thousand deaths laughing.

B+

My password is 'Marvin'.

B

I've read the books; they are nice.

B-

Terry Pratchett is better.

B--

The books are silly through and through. Some nice jokes, but absolutely no story.

The Hitchhikers TV Series


TV++

I own copies on video, DVD and LaserDisc. I am convinced that David Dixon is the best actor ever, and am in love with Sandra Dickinson.

TV+

It's funny, and faithful to the original.

TV

I've seen it, it's just not quite as I imagined it, that's all.

TV-

It looks cheaply made and a bit shoddy, frankly.

TV?

I haven't seen it.

The (Original!) Hitchhikers Radio Series


r++

I was riveted to every word, and started my unhealthy obsession with all things DNA from that instant.

r+

I own a copy on CD, and continue to distribute copies in order that the legacy might live on.

r

I haven't heard it, but would really appreicate one of those copies.

r-

What's the point? The books were a refinement of the radio series, and therefore must be better.

Douglas Adams


D++++

I am Douglas Adams2!

D+++

I knew Douglas Adams personally.

D++

I once met Douglas Adams.

D+

I spoke to Douglas Adams online.

D

I never met Douglas Adams

D-

I never met Douglas Adams, and didn't ever have the desire to.

D?

Who is this Douglas Adams? I thought DNA stood for de-oxyribonucleic acid.

H2G2 Addictedness


A+++

Jim Lynn keeps sending me emails asking me not to clog up the database.

A++

I can happily spend two or three hours posting random things and not notice where the time has gone. I have topped the 'Most Postings' list on multiple occasions.

A+

I spend a lot of time online, and keep coming back to h2g2 because it's full of great people.

A

I spend a lot of time here, but it's not as if I can't log off whenever I want.

A-

I wander in now and again to keep in touch with people and read some good new entries.

A--

I don't come here often - there are better things to do with my life.

Posting

This category is written in two parts, separated by a colon. The first refers to posting length, the second to posting frequency. Therefore, 'P:++' would refer to someone who posts average length posts with sufficient frequency to regularly make the 'Most Postings' list.


P+++

I am Barton : I am pheloxi.

P++

I regularly get onto the Longest Postings list : I regularly get onto the Most Postings list.

P+

I have a reputation for being verbose : I have a reputation for being a chatterbox.

P

I consider myself to be an average poster.

P-

I stick to short comments : I don't post much

P--

I write mostly one-line posts : I'm a member of the Unofficial Lurker's Society.

P---

This code is the longest thing I've ever posted : You can make postings here??

Smiley Usage


s++

I carry on entire conversations using only smileys. I can survive for weeks eating nothing but the food and drink smileys. I think words are obsolete and hierolyphics are due for a comeback.

s+

I've memorised the smiley list and use most of them regularly. I find it easier to type <cuddle> than to express real emotions. I get frustrated when smileys on h2g2 are missing on other sites.

s

There are a handful of smileys I use regularly, but never more than one a paragraph.

s-

I don't use smileys much, but that's just me.

s--

Smileys just irritate me. They're a poor substitute for real emotions. And as for people giving each other smiley - cake smileys... get a life already!

Volunteers


V+++

I am an Ace, Guru, Sub-ed, Scout, University Researcher, Post Editor and anything else I can possibly volunteer for. I am rumoured to be
top of the list for the vacant tea-boy position at Bush House.

V++

I have one or two volunteer positions and am enjoying them thoroughly.

V+

I gave up a volunteer position through lack of time/I have a volunteer position which is frankly hard work.

V

I am not currently a volunteer.

V-

I'm not a volunteer - too much like hard work.

V--

I don't particularly want to be a suck-up to the Towers or boss people around.

Entry Writing


E++

I habitually write entries on anything that interests me, lots of things that don't, things that people have randomly suggested to me and stuff that seemed like a good idea at the time. I live to headline the Front Page.

E+

I have written or contributed to a good handful of Edited Entries on interesting subjects, and was proud to see them make the Front Page.

E

I've written one or two Edited Entries, which other people thought were good.

E-

I've never written an Edited Entry, but I will get around to it some day.

E--

I can't really see the point of writing entries - I enjoy the community too much to waste time on that.

Peer Review


PR+++

I subscribe to Peer Review and try to comment on every entry. My life is devoted to picking out typos, dropped clauses and dangling participles. I have a Grammatical Dictionary on my desk just to make sure.

PR++

I come in fairly regularly, read all the entries that look vaguely interesting and make a few insightful or educated comments about each one.

PR+

I am a Scout. It's my job to do this sort of thing.

PR

I will comment on entries if a friend has asked me to, or if I feel I can really make a difference.

PR-

I don't come into Peer Review often. I don't feel it's my place to suggest improvements on other people's work.

PR--

Never! That fish on a bicycle just freaks me out!

Ask H2G2


a+++

I subscribe and consequently spend three hours every morning sorting out my Conversations list, then Googling the subject matter to see what obscure knowledge I can pass on.

a++

I come in between other conversations, pick up on any thread that looks interesting, and add my tuppence worth.

a+

I am a regular contributor.

a

I come in regularly, but tend to only read or lurk on most threads.

a-

I don't go there that regularly - most of my conversations start elsewhere.

a--

I don't see the point, it's only a lot of Researchers showing off.

Thingites


T+++

I have printed out new calendars reading Sodit, Wimpy, Wibble, Thing, Poets, Doobry and Dontbry. I have contributed more than 500 posts to the 'No No No' thread, and thought up at least 5 hare-brained schemes.

T++

I attack people with a spork on a regular basis. My life was complete when the spork smiley was introduced.

T+

I am continually impressed by the length of the 'No No No' thread, and make myself heard every now and then.

T

I got swept up in the rush, and can't get away from them.

T-

They're too weird for my liking.

T--

What a bunch of plonkers! This scary cult thing is just daft beyond belief.

Nighthoover


nh+++

I am nighthoover. I have returned!3

nh++

I am a major player in the cult of nighthoover. I know for sure in my heart that one day the great one will return.

nh+

I believe that nighthoover will return, although I am certain he/she will be puzzled by the reception.

nh

Frankly, I couldn't give a stuff whether this being comes back or not. And how will they know what shape to make the nighthoover smiley, anyway?

nh-

Get a life, you people! Stop scaring the wits out of this poor person.

Unofficial Societies/Cults

Including things such as Keepers, Muses, Procrastinators etc. etc.


C+++

I started a cult and am now worshipped as God by all the members of such.

C++

I started a cult, or am a major player in a cult, and an appreciable number have joined. I know in my heart that one day we will become a major force on h2g2.

C+

I am a member of a healthy number of these.

C

I started one, but only my friends joined.

C-

I hate the idea of h2g2 being cliquey. I'd rather spread my good feelings to everyone.

An Example

To illustrate what a fully formed block of h2g2 code should look like, here is the fully personalised code block for Master B:

----BEGIN H2G2 CODE BLOCK----

Version: 1.0

RGB>$ SG>+ B+ TV@ r>+ D A++ P:++ S V++ E+ PR++ a++
T-- nh+ C++(-)


-----END H2G2 CODE BLOCK-----

...Although, for security purposes, I should add that my password isn't actually 'Marvin'.

Entering in GuideML

The currently recommended method is inserting the entire code block in between nested <BLOCKQUOTE> and <CODE> tags, then placing three <BR/> tags: one after the 'BEGIN' line; one after the 'Version' line; and the final one after the code itself. Thus far, however, this does not wrap between categories.

1Payment in co-credits, part-shares in unofficial projects or other h2g2-viable currency is perfectly acceptable.2All uses of this category will be considered fraudulent (and tasteless).3All uses of this category will be considered fraudulent.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A855641

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more