A Conversation for Talking Point: Privacy

An outmoded idea.

Post 1

shagbark

About ten years ago some Internet mogul was presented with a complaint that his website was invading peoples privacy. His response: Get Over It!!
Today hospital, and financial records are routinely kept on-line somewhere. Theoretically, the government can look at these without letting you know.
Are you planning to fly somewhere. Full body scanners will show what is in your underwear.
Driving a car? the Police (constables) have computers in their patrol vehicles that can tap into a database showing every time you have had an accident. One stopped me for a burned out light and read my file. He said nothing of interest here. He told me to get the light fixed and let me go.
It seems to me that that loss of privacy is an inevitable by-product of systems that have brought us security and efficiency.
This is no longer the 20th century. If someone says "big brother is watching" I say let him watch. I lead a boring life which will soon cause him to either fall asleep or look elsewhere."


Key: Complain about this post

An outmoded idea.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more