A Conversation for Talking Point: Privacy

Perhaps too lackadaisical

Post 1

You can call me TC

My attitude to data protection and the like is usually as follows

a. There is so much information out there that no one is likely to bother to seek out anything relevant to me, so keep overloading the servers, people

b. I don't have anything to hide anyway - quite the opposite: for example, if I can be tracked by my mobile phone this might one day save my life.

Having said that, I obviously don't like people prying, and wouldn't feel happy if there were faces constantly peering through my windows.

My son, coming from Germany, spent some time in the the UK recently, and was quite freaked out by the CCTV cameras and kept asking people if it didn't worry them. None of the UK residents seemed to notice or even think it was an issue worth discussing.

Personally, I don't worry about CCTV cameras for the above reasons, hoping that if I got into trouble, help would be there sooner rather than later because of them. I do know that it has been pointed out that, apart from the Jamie Bulgur case, there has very rarely been a case of a crime being solved by their use.

There are so many aspects to this issue - varying from the height and density of the hedge around your garden (a private place), the ubiquity of CCTV cameras when you are in a public place, and then the availability of personal information available on the internet.


Perhaps too lackadaisical

Post 2

Peanut

I think there is an issue with people understanding data protection or unprotection. I know my own knowledge is limited.
There seemed to be a spate of calls in my local area to people of my Mums age and thereabouts, she is 73 (today smiley - bubbly. They claimed to be from windows saying that their computers had been hacked. No-one outside this age range within my social circle had been contacted, I know that is not very scientific but...
So I tried to see if I could target a particular age range, I could really easily, I wouldn't have to pay a hugh amount to get all their phone numbers and for free the addresses of those living alone smiley - erm


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more