A Conversation for The Number Forty Two (42)

But it is the...

Post 1

DaRC (cook, cocktail maker, cyclist )

meaning of Life, The Universe & Everything smiley - tongueout

In Robert Graves "The White Goddess" he goes into great detail about the Greek/Hebrew view of numerology. Each number in the alphabet has a value. Certain values are magical/special.

Now before we get into a complete Monty Python sketch I just want to say...
"Jehovah" smiley - winkeye
What does this mean you say. Well the Hebrew (or was it the Greek) for Jehovah was Yahweh. For some convoluted reason they remove the vowels. So you end up with YHWH or JHVH. If you take the numerology of this term for God (i.e. Life, The Universe & Everything) you come up with 42!!

You have to hand to Douglas Adams smiley - flyhi when he had a joke it was on several levels.
Right after all this my smiley - headhurts and I need a smiley - stiffdrink.



But it is the...

Post 2

Terran

Yes, I think I need a smiley - stiffdrink too after reading that smiley - smiley


But it is the...

Post 3

Alex A (Keeper of 7)

Also in binary (base 2), 42 (base 10) is expressed as 101010 smiley - smiley


But it is the...

Post 4

Terran

There must be loads of ways of doing that... hmm, must think about that one.


But it is the...

Post 5

WilburWhateley

Many levels indeed!
6x9=42 in base 13. Is reality bad luck?smiley - winkeye
I think maybe it is. smiley - devil


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more