The Baldur's Gate Series

3 Conversations


Made by Bioware and published by Interplay, the four separate titles that make up the Baldur's Gate computer game series are one of the few computer games that truly deserve to be described as 'epic'. The games follow the story of one young man discovering his destiny, in true Dungeons and Dragons style. However, while this basic synopsis sounds gruesomely cliched, the story is in fact brilliantly crafted and even quite emotional at times. It is thought that if the dedicated player attempted every quest in all the games, then it would take around 500 hours1 to complete. This is a fair amount of time. The games are also immensely popular and are responsible for the renaissance in pen and paper D and D2 gaming in America.


The games are set in the most recognisable of the D and D campaign worlds, The Forgotten Realms, about 16 or so years after the 'the Time of Troubles' - when the gods were apparently banished from their celestial domains and forced to roam the realms themselves. Practically all of the mechanics of the pen and paper version are included in the games3. The game is actually quite geeky, but it is perfectly playable without ever working out what a to hit modifier is or worrying what a reaction adjustment does.


The four titles are two standalone games and an add-on pack for each. Although one is a sequel, there is an almost complete degree of continuity between setting and characterisation: the graphics and interface are improved subtly rather than changed significantly, and additions merely accomodate more powerful spells, artefacts and abilities to complement the more powerful brand of character and beastie that appears. The story, too, is a direct continuation from the first title, with many of the more interesting NPCs4 reappearing. The protagonist himself is allowed to be imported from the first game if the player had played it through before hand. The titles are as follows: Baldur's Gate and its add-on Tales Of The Sword Coast, and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and its add-on Throne of Bhaal.


The story covers a short but eventful time in the life of the PC5, and is far too good to be spoiled by a poxy synopsis, deserving as it does to be played through with thoroughness. It starts slowly, which has put the more casual gamer off, but quickly builds into a very powerful story indeed. Something special was needed to create a fresh and stimulating story in what was essentially a fairly tired genre, in the standard, been-there-done-that Tolkeinesque world of elves and dwarves and magic swords. Storylines had stagnated prior to the 1997 release of the original game, yet something truly new and different emerged, which had great writing and a deftly witty touch.


The game is set in the western corner of the Forgotten Realms, a world which had been painstakingly and lovingly maintained and developed over the course of 20 years prior to the game's release. Only a small section of the world is ever visited, no more than is necessessary, but this allowed the developers to pull out all the stops to create a believable world that feels inhabited and able to be manipulated. Of course not evrything one could do in real life can be done, but there is a fair amount of roleplaying to do, as well as copious amounts of combat.


The games are played from an isometric birdseye view, in which a maximum of six player controlled characters are controlled, via a series of clicks of the mouse. The gameplay is varied; at the core, one is wondering around a series of themed and detailed areas, be they wilderness, town or that roleplay mainstay, the dungeon, attempting to depopulate them of enemies. These enemies get progressively tougher, ranging from fairly puny wolves and goblins to huge dragons and even earthly avatars of evil gods. Needless to say, there is a fairly formidable arsenal which one can use to perform this task, and the creative teams at work on these weapons have put in a lot of imagination into making interesting and entertaining magical items. Of course, magic plays as large a part as thuggery, and a lot of fun comes in discovering the most ludicrously powerful death-dealing combination when trying to defeat a particularly ornery demon. Needless to say, there is much more to the game than senseless violence. There are puzzles and quests to be overcome, and of course the unfolding of the story is tremendously rewarding.


What makes the game series, so magical, however, is the deftness with which it is written. Very touching and tender in parts, and very, very drole in others, it is a true masterpiece. When games are finally given the recognition they deserve as pieces of entertainment art, Baldur's Gate as well as Final Fantasy VII will be held up as pinacles of the roleplaying genre for this reason.

1That's nearly three whole weeks of solid computer action, fact fans.2D and D stands for Dungeons and Dragons: a fantasy roleplaying system usually based in a Tolkeinesque fantasy setting.3Using 2nd Edition rules.4Non Player Characters.5Player Character.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A837218

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more