Towel Day

3 Conversations

When is Towel Day and what is its purpose?

Towel Day takes place on the 25th of May every year. It is an internationally celebrated holiday. The purpose of Towel Day is to honour the life and work of Douglas Adams and in particular all things The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-related.

What do you do to celebrate Towel Day?

Basically if you want to celebrate Towel Day all you have to do is carry a towel everywhere you go on the 25th May. That’s all there is to it. Any towel will do - big or small - it really doesn’t matter.

If you see anyone else carrying a towel on this day you know they are a Douglas Adams and/or Hitchhiking fan. If you do spot another hitchhiker it is customary to say hello. A good way to start a conversation with a fellow hitchhiker is to open with a line from the book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for example ‘Don’t panic’ or ‘Hey, you sass1 that hoopy2 Ford Prefect? There's a frood3 who really knows where his towel is.’ Alternately if you meet them in a pub you could always offer to buy them a pan galactic gargle blaster.

If anyone comments on your towel and they don’t already know about Douglas Adams or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy then this is a good time to introduce them to him.

Why a towel?

For any strags4 out there who don’t know; a towel is the most essential peice of kit any hitchhiker could possess. It has many practical uses and is also of great psychological use. For the full list of uses please see H2G2’s page on Towels.

The many uses of towels were first brought to our attention in Douglas Adams’ wholly remarkable book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and that is why a towel is used to honour his life and work.

The history of Towel Day

Douglas Adams died of a heart attack, aged 49 on 11th May 2001. Fans wanted a way to honour his life. One fan, D Clyde Williamson, suggested that two weeks after Douglas Adams death should become Towel Day as a way for fans to pay tribute to him. So on the 25th May 2001 the first Towel day took place.

Towel Day was a success and so it became an annual event. The day has grown in popularity each year as more people become aware it and of Douglas Adams.

Final thoughts on Towel Day

The more strags who become aware of this froody holiday the better.

So long and thanks for all the views.

1Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with2Hoopy: really together guy
3Frood: really amazingly together guy
4Strag: non-hitchhiker

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A82714944

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more