A Conversation for Hinduism--An Overview

Hinduism

Post 1

snowandflames

Hinduism is way of life. It is called Sanathana Dharma.
Hinduism is probably much older. Hindu scriptures list 33 crore gods. You can worship any god. This religion is very flexible. It contains the GOOD things of all religions.
A mistake in the entry-Parvati and Uma are perceived as goddesses of motherhood and Durga and Kali are goddesses of destruction. They are all incarnations of Shakti.
The caste system segregates people not by their birth but by the nature of the work. It was exploited by the materialists and foreign invaders and it was corrupted. Innocent people are still being exploited due to their ignorance to the true meaning. In the ancient period there were no untouchables.
Moksha can be attained by different ways. Swami Vivekananda lists four ways:
Raja Yoga -through control of the senses.
Bhakti Yoga-through complete devotion.
Gnana Yoga -through philosophical conquest of the mind.
Karma Yoga -through service to all living beings.
Moksha can be attained through one or a combination of the above said ways.
Temples and deities are not always necessary for worship. But they are sacred. And saints are not chosen by the people.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hinduism--An Overview

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more