The life and philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche

1 Conversation


Nietzsche was a notorious 19th century philosopher who's work is still being criticised and discussed today. There is much that is misunderstood about he man and his work, and both are too important to let the misconceptions alone.

Nietzsche was born in Rochen, Prussia on October 15, 1844 to a Protestant (Lutheran) pastor. He was made a professor of classical philosophy at the University of Basel before he recieved his doctorate, and he taught until his health failed in 1879. Nietzsche never married, but was close friends with the legendary german composer Wagner.

In 1889 Nietzsche's mental health began to fail him. On August 25, 1890 he died.

Nietzsche was the first great philosopher after Darwin published "his" theories of natural selection and evolution. Nietzsche took Darwin very seriously. He reasoned that, if humans evolved from apes and were not created in the image of God, then we are alone in the universe, and have no real purpose. He then set about trying to find the correct way to live without a God to tell him.

Nietzsche dsecribed the Christian morality as a "slave morality" that goes against human nature and tames man's spirit. When he wrote in Thus Spoke Zarathustra the infamous and often-quoted line "God is dead," he meant that the slave mentality would pass away, and so would ethics provided by God.

the rest of the article will be up soon...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A799202

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more