A Conversation for DEVON'S NEW FLAG

Sense of Place is closing

Post 1

Devon Editor

Sadly the Sense of Place Devon website will shortly be closing down. You'll still be able to read the contributions people have made, but I'm afraid you won't be able to add new entries and discussions.

We've had great fun over the past couple of years creating this living guide to Devon. We've really appreciated your help putting together an image of the places, characters and landmarks that make Devon so special.

You can still keep up-to-date with everything you need to know about Devon by visiting the BBC DEVON WEBSITE. It's your first port of call for news, sport, weather, entertainment, and discussions on Devon topics.


Sense of Place is closing

Post 2

Ozzie Exile

As I have already posted elsewhere I will be very sad to see 'sense of place' close down.

You have been a valuable resource and communication forum.

You will always be remembered as the 'birthplace' of the Devon Flag.

Hopefully BBC Devon will be able to continue discussion forums in some capacity even after SoP closes.

Will h2g2 (the underlying DNA engine) continue - and would it be sensible/possible to link from your more popular conversations to a matching new one on h2g2 before you close off???

I am happy to set some of these up if BBC Devon would allow a link.


Sense of Place is closing

Post 3

Devon Editor

Hi Ozzie. We are currently in discussion with the tech people at the DNA about the possibility of reproducing the Devon Flag and Celtic Devon pages within H2G2, which will continue as before. Whatever happens we will find a way of contining the discussion forum for the flag. We will also ensure that the old threads can still be read as an archive resource. Thanks again for your support.


Sense of Place is closing

Post 4

Ozzie Exile

I am glad to hear that you may be able to shift the discussion forum to DNA/h2g2.

I hope you can achive this - or alternatively a different solution on BBC Devon.

I think the Devon Flag issue has been tangible evidence of what the forum can produce - don't know what has occurred elsewhere - but I do know it wouldn't have happened here without your active involvement.

I hope that the interactive nature of BBC Devon continues in some format (including but not limited to the Devon Flag/Celtic Devon forums).

I also hope that none of you are thrown out on your ears either because of "cost cutting"!

You have done a fine job - and something to be proud of!!!!


Sense of Place is closing

Post 5

Bob McBob

I'm very sad to hear that Sense of Place Devon is closing - I've only just found this site, which makes it even worse.

It would be great for a Sense of Place devon to continue (kind of) in h2g2, and I hope this can be achieved.

smiley - ale to a Sense of Place!


Sense of Place is closing

Post 6

parrferris

Yes, it's very sad that the site is closing. Many thanks to the BBC Devon team - thanks to the opportunity you gave us, Devon now has a fine new flag. A fitting legacy for your work, I think.smiley - cheers

I'm told by the DNA Hub that they're planning to leave the SoP backlog in place, although you won't be able to post to it (rather as has happened with the Book of the Future site, a project which always had a finite lifespan).

In the meantime, there's nothing to stop us perpetuating a Devon 'community' within h2g2. If anyone's interested, I'll set up a new page...


Sense of Place is closing

Post 7

Ozzie Exile

Parferris

Bob McBob has done just that - refer to the following link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-devon/A2296695

Before we develop it, it may be sensible to see what BBC Devon and h2g2 can come up with on transferring those pages. Hopefully they will give us sufficient warning if that fails so that we can develop Bob's forum appropriately

smiley - alesmiley - cheerssmiley - hangover


Sense of Place is closing

Post 8

Ozzie Exile

Parferris

Bob McBob has done just that - refer to the following link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-devon/A2296695

Before we develop it, it may be sensible to see what BBC Devon and h2g2 can come up with on transferring those pages. Hopefully they will give us sufficient warning if that fails so that we can develop Bob's forum appropriately

smiley - alesmiley - cheers


Sense of Place is closing

Post 9

parrferris

Bob's page looks exactly what I had in mind.

As it happens, I sought the opinion of The Powers That Be earlier today. The thread, on the DNA Hub, is here: F94020?thread=381123 .
As you can see, the gist is that the site will still be available to view, but not open to new content or new posting.


Sense of Place is closing

Post 10

Bob McBob

smiley - eureka I'll check if it's a good idea with the editors first, to see whether they've come up with anything better or have any ideas, otherwise any help or ideas will be very useful.

Bob


Sense of Place is closing

Post 11

Devon Editor

Hi all. Thanks Bob for creating your new page on H2G2. It will be an excellent place for Devon freinds to meet up and continue chatting. I'm glad to confirm that the Devon Flag page, along with all the existing discussions associated with it, will shortly be moving across to our sister site H2G2. This means you can continue your discussions as before. I'm told the page will retain its existing ID number so the change over should be seemless. You can still use your normal user names and passwords. Your comments have been much appreciated by the BBC Devon team. The creation of the flag is something we are all very proud to have been part of - speaking personally it's been a career best achievement. It's been great to have all your contributions - thanks again for your support. smiley - smiley


Sense of Place is closing

Post 12

Frankie Roberto

Hi all,

I've suggested that the powers that be move this page to another site so that you can continue posting to it, and working to promote the flag!

See the conversation here: F1761242?thread=390552 to have your say and choose where the page gets moved to...

Frankie


Moving the Devon Flag

Post 13

Ozzie Exile

It looks like the move to H2g2 has happened, and I am pleased to see that the Celtic Devon thread has moved as well.

Well done.


Key: Complain about this post